Job Title: Medical Secretary
Job ID #: HIS 18-1101
Department: Health Information Systems
Reports To: Manager, Health Information
Salary Range: MS1 $37,796.76 - $47,713.15 per annum
Status: Full-time, permanent
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Who we are:
Sherbourne is a leading provider of quality health care and transformative support to people who face social, economic and other systemic barriers. Our mission is to advance the equity and quality of care and services and to improve health for underserved communities. This is done through primary health and chronic disease services; health promotion and education; outreach and social supports; and mental health services.
Sherbourne provides innovative health care and social services to the diverse urban population of southeast Toronto. While our doors are open to everyone, we focus on people who are homeless or under-housed; LGBTQ, and newcomers to Canada. We are funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Toronto Central LHIN, Ministry of Child and Youth Services, City of Toronto and many generous companies, groups and individuals.
The Medical Secretary will report to the Manager, Health Information and will provide medical secretarial support to providers and clients of Sherbourne. The medical secretary must be capable of working in a fast paced environment throughout the departments, which can at times become chaotic. They should be able to maintain perspective and a willingness to assist clients who may present challenges.
Duties include: Greet, assist and direct clients. Updating client EMR charts upon client arrival, provide initial logistical support, schedule and confirm appointment times. Complete external referrals using EMR, process digital faxes and scan paper documents into the client EMR charts in a timely manner. Recording and validating health cards, and processing health claims as appropriate.
- Completion of a Medical Secretary Diploma and a minimum of two years medical secretarial experience is required or an equivalent blend
- Electronic Medical Records Applications experience is a definite asset, specifically Accuro.
- Experience working with individuals within Sherbourne’s target communities: those who are homeless and under housed, experiencing mental health and substance use issues, the LGBTQ community and newcomers to Canada.
Skills and Abilities:
- Accurate typing speed of 50 words per minute.
- Proven superior customer service skills
- Ability to work or have experience dealing with difficult people in a fast paced environment
- Technical competence in the operation of standard office equipment – fax, photocopier, scanner – and software (email, MS Office)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Proven ability to work within a health care team.
- Ability to manage challenging encounters and de-escalate situations.
- Ability to follow through and follow up on delegated tasks in a defined manner.
- Ability to work within an anti-oppression framework; understands and appreciates the diversity of our client and staff population and community.
Conditions of Employment:
- Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check.
- Engages in ethical conduct, follows established policies and procedures, using sound judgement.
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with SHC related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices.
- Understand and maintain compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Ontario Human Rights Code and other relevant legislation.
- Standard work week is 37.5 hours from Monday to Friday.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including participation in the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) and professional development.
As an employer, Sherbourne is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity. Requests for accommodation due to disability can be made at any stage in the recruitment process.
Application: Please forward a cover letter and resume quoting Job ID # HIS 18-1101 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.