Science Workshop Presenter
Scientists in School is a leading science education charity, with a winning model for sparking children's interest in STEM and the environment through half-day, hands-on workshops in classroom and community settings. Under the guidance of a science expert, children from Kindergarten to Grade 8 become the scientists and engineers, and develop the 21st century skills needed for tomorrow's modern workforce. Each year we engage close to 700,000 eager children and youth.
If you love science, enjoy working with elementary school children and teachers, possess excellent presentation and organizational skills and the flexibility of managing your own work schedule, this opportunity may be for you. These are part-time contract positions with a volunteer component. Presenters are paid a fee for workshop presentations.
We currently are looking for presenters in the following areas:
- Greater Toronto Area, Durham Region, York Region
- Peterborough/Kawartha Regions
- Simcoe County
- Guelph, Waterloo, Halton and Peel Regions
- Hamilton-Wentworth Region
- Ottawa: English, French and bilingual presenters
- Leeds-Grenville, Stormont Dundas and Glengarry, and Lanark Counties
- Bruce, Grey, Huron and Perth Counties
- Alberta: Lethbridge and Calgary
Applications are also being accepted for future needs in Niagara region.
We are looking for mature individuals who have a background in science, engineering or technology. Individuals with a Bachelor of Education or ECE degree may also be considered for some positions.
- Delivers high quality hands-on interactive workshops in accordance with Scientists in School’s mission
- Participates in training program and in ongoing development opportunities as recommended
- Prepares presentation kit and maintains materials in a safe and professional condition
- Communicates with teachers on a timely basis to schedule and confirm assigned workshops
- Maintains accurate record of workshop dates and presentation status through presenter portal
- Follows Scientists in School's communication procedures adhering to deadlines
- Submits expense reports to Scientists in School on a monthly basis
- Attends and participates in Presenter meetings
- Shares ideas with other presenters through consultation and annual team meetings to continually improve workshop content and delivery
- Adheres to safety guidelines as outlined in the Scientists in School Safety Manual
- Interacts in a positive and professional manner with school administration, support personnel, classroom teachers and parent volunteers
- Science degree preferred; BEd or ECE degree (for some positions)
- Knowledge and experience in the field of science
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proven ability to plan activities, work independently as well as part of a team
- Dynamic presentation style and ability to express ideas clearly to children and adults
- Excellent customer service skills; must be flexible, diplomatic and adaptable
- Ability to lift and carry 22 kg
- French speaking or Bilingual (English and French) required for some positions in Ottawa region
- Use of personal computer and ability to manage e-mail and internet applications
- Valid Driver’s License and use of a vehicle
Once selected, you will be required to apply for and obtain a satisfactory Police Records Check for the vulnerable sector.
Please send your cover letter and resume to the contact as listed below:
For GTA and surrounding areas: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Guelph, Waterloo, Halton, Peel and Bruce Grey regions: email@example.com
For Hamilton-Wentworth and Niagara regions: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Ottawa and Rural Eastern Ontario: email@example.com
*Please mention where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
For more information, please visit our website at www.scientistsinschool.ca