Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full-time temporary (maternity leave coverage) to Dec. 31, 2019
Compensation: Salary and 3-weeks paid vacation
Our Mission: SALTS Board, staff and crew members are deeply committed to this mission in its entirety: “To develop the spiritual, relational, and physical potential of young people through sail training, shipboard life and associated activities in a Christian environment.”
The Communications Coordinator will implement strategies to support our marketing and fundraising goals. The work location is the SALTS Office, 451 Herald St, Victoria BC, with some meetings aboard one of our schooners while docked in the inner harbor plus occasional travel. Work hours are 8:00-4:30, Monday to Friday with occasional evening/weekend work.
2) DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Marketing and Communication:
- Liaise with the Executive Director and other team members to create and execute an annual communications/promotion plan to ensure all sail training programs are full and that our fundraising goals are supported
- Represent and communicate our Christian mission to the public with accuracy and passion
- Manage and enhance our social media presence and marketing. Track our exposure and advertising performance.
- Create a cohesive and positive brand identity through content creation and management of our website using a CMS web editor.
- Manage brochures, documents, publications, advertisements, etc. Compile submissions, write articles, and layout design for Saltings E-newsletter.
- Manage SALTS promotional gear: track inventory, assess sales and product line changes, order from suppliers, organize storage and distribution
- Organize and manage events (e.g. trade fairs, ship tours, receptions, celebrations, etc.)
- Book speaking engagements for him/herself and/or other SALTS employees
- Manage photographs and video resources, and provide support through ghost writing as requested
- Keep current with technology, innovative marketing techniques, communications trends
- Establish and maintain contacts with print, radio, television and online media; ensure coordinated and positive media coverage; create media releases and articles to earn media/publicity
- Consult with Executive Director to develop communication strategies for crisis/issues management
- Develop cross-promotions with community partners with approval from the Executive Director
- Monitor and provide a timely response to inquiries via social media and email
- Manage programs and activities and represent SALTS in a way that aligns with the SALTS Statement of Faith and Ethics and our unique Christian mission, which are entrenched within the Constitution
- Ensure all initiatives are based on and reflect the stated values of the Society
- Provide responsible financial stewardship of the Society’s resources.
- Work as part of a collaborative team to achieve stated goals
- Other duties as requested by the Executive Director
- Willing to participate occasionally in SALTS sail training programs (4-5 days at sea) to enable accurate representation of those programs or as relief crew as approved by the Executive Director
- Participate in and take turns leading Christian devotions and prayer each work-day morning
- Participate in meetings, discussions and decisions related to the mission, vision, strategic plans, and management of the organization
- After commencing employment, you may be asked to take a Marine Emergency Duties course and First Aid course (time and course fees paid by SALTS) to enable leading of ship tours at the dock during special events
3) APPLICABLE POLICIES
- Shoreside Policy Manual and official policy documents (available on the shared computer drive)
- Written agreement with the SALTS Statement of Faith and Ethics whenever requested
- Criminal record check clearance must be provided prior to commencing employment and when requested thereafter
4) MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Experience and Education
- Post-secondary education with at least an undergraduate degree preferred, ideally with emphasis in social sciences, marketing, business, communication, public relations, or journalism.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Event management experience is an asset.
- Past SALTS program experience is an asset (not a requirement).
Skills and Personal Characteristics
- Proven track record of writing/editing promotional materials
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft office suite and desktop publishing software
- An ability to think strategically and develop effective communication and marketing plans (the right messages through the right media to the right markets at the right moments).
- Resourceful, motivated, and energetic.
- High level of computer literacy, eagerness to learn, ability to seek out and find resources to enable that learning.
- Ability to work with staff and clients in a supportive, respectful and caring manner.
- Ability to handle stress and emergencies in a calm, effective manner.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Ability to work with little supervision and collaborate in a team setting.
- Must support and uphold the values of SALTS.
- Ability to model acceptable ethical standards, personally & professionally.
Send a cover email/letter and résumé (or any related questions) to Mr. Loren Hagerty, Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) including your qualifications and compensation expectations. The close date for applications is October 21, 2018.