Sr Back End Developer
Imagine working for an exciting entrepreneurial company whose employees are committed to meeting the big challenges and making a real difference. That's Rogers. A leading communications and media company where people come to do great work. Right now, we are looking for talented individuals to join our winning team where you will have a chance to innovate, grow and to do what really matters.
We are currently seeking server-side developers for our Digital channels, with a keen interest in software craftsmanship and scalable architecture. We do most of our programming in Java, using the Play/Akka framework, however we strongly value deep technical skills, diverse programming expertise, willingness to learn, and desire to work in an intensive, highly productive environment, over specific java or Play/Akka knowledge and experience.
Develop robust Microservices to support a diverse range of common functions used by numerous Rogers Digital Channels. This includes user signup and registration services, web site administration, entitlement checking, choosing a service plan or bundle, upgrading to a more appropriate service plan, making payments, allocating data between wireless accounts and many more functions. The microservices will need to be built with performance and scalability in mind.
Detailed Responsibilities include:
- Creating microservices services that respond in low numbers of milliseconds
- Writing reliable and robust code, with the ability to use TDD being an asset.
- Creating unit and regression tests with sufficient code coverage.
- Taking an active role in creating architectural principles and standards and promoting their use across the team.
- Making code fault-tolerant and implementing proper logging, monitoring and manageability.
- Working closely with our infrastructure team to solve DevOps problems.
- Building systems that manage our deployment pipeline, using tools such as Bamboo and Ansible.
- Writing code that uses both non-relational and relational databases.
- Working closely with the front-end development team and architects to produce software solutions.
- A university degree in Computer Science, Computer engineering or a related discipline.
- 5+ years programming experience in Java. Scala experience is a plus
- Experienced with objected oriented principles, design patterns and industry's best practices.
- Strong industry experience in designing and developing scalable production quality REST API's
- Prior experience of developing microservices with Play/Akka or Spring Boot is an asset
- Proficient working with relational databases as well as NoSQL technologies like Cassandra
- You truly love to code as evidenced by prior projects and experience
- Exceptional communications skills