Software Developer Co-op (216468)
At Rogers, we connect Canadians to a world of possibilities and the memorable moments that matter most in their lives. Every day we wake up with one purpose in mind. To bring loved ones together from across the globe. To connect people to each other and the world around them. To help an entrepreneur realize their dream. A sports fan celebrate a special moment.
Because we believe connections unite us, possibilities fuel us, and moments define us.
As we grow our team, the well-being of our team members remains our top priority. To ensure the health and safety of our team members, including those in the recruitment process, our team members are working from home, and are equipped to do so safely and efficiently.
Start your career with a strong foundation and spend your term with us! We’re looking for motivated students who want to make an impact. Your co-op experience at Rogers will prepare you for the real world, and will empower you to take on challenging work after you graduate. Throughout your term, you’ll gain first-hand exposure to what life is like at our organization. You’ll work alongside industry professionals who will support your overall growth, and you’ll be responsible for business-impacting work that will help you transition into the various new grad opportunities we offer post-graduation. We want you to explore our organization so you can find your fit within it.
Who we are:
At Rogers 5G Create Lab, we have a simple vision: craft 5G innovative solutions to make more possible! The lab, located at Communitech, is an open Innovation hub to deepen our understanding of 5G technology and use-cases through co-creation of business solutions providing sustainable competitive advantages to Rogers strategic customers and partners by utilizing lean-agile design methodologies.
What we do:
Through a co-creation process with leading industry partners and enterprise customers the lab will be focused on creating new technical and business solutions in Smart City, Asset Tracking, Industrial IoT, Autonomous Vehicles, VR/AR and other areas of focus. With these new applications, we need to provide contemporary desirable and feasible designs to advance 5G and IoT use cases. We will also be dealing with a massive amount of data flowing through IoT devices connected to Rogers existing LTE-M and NB-IoT networks as well as ENCQORS 5G network. We will be researching various ways of adapting machine learning and data science to provide insights by leveraging Multi-Access Edge Computing and Cloud Computing infrastructures.
Who you are:
We are looking for a passionate software developer data science, who is comfortable dealing with big data flowing in real-time. If you are someone who navigates the world through numerical models, building learning levels while keeping a human centered approach and capable of translating your mathematical models into graphical representations, you will be indulged into a unique learning experience at Rogers 5G Create Lab.
This is a continuous learning opportunity; our ideal candidate will help us understand and formalize various data models and identify potential use-cases.
What will you do:â€¯â€¯â€¯â€¯â€¯â€¯
You will work on prototyping solutions and identifying use cases for cutting edge 5G and IoT technology. You will have the ability to co-create with Rogers’ strategic customers and partners through design sprints and co-creation workshops and potentially see your design mature into a market leader in 5G space.
- Design, build and test scalable and highly available Big Data ETL, ELT, analytical, and other Big Data and Cloud solutions (AWS or Azure)
- Design, build and test integration interfaces between Big Data platform and external systems (API-based and other)
- Participate in co-creation design sessions to create / review solution designs
- Lead in identifying and evaluating solution requirements; analyzes and recommends feasible options; design, develop, test and implements solutions to meet business objectives and client needs.
- Apply concepts, industry research, best practices and agile methodologies and tools (Jira, Confluence)
What you have or aspire to learn:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited co-op, post-secondary institution pursuing a degree in a quantitative discipline; math, computer science, statistics.
- Passion for data science, machine learning and IoT devices (proven experience in any is an asset, share with us what your most innovative work!)
- Experience with programming languages:â€¯ R, Python, SQL, Java or others (let us know what you use!)
- Passion for mathematical analysis, numerical modelling and describing the world in numbers and graphically representing the models to drive action.
- Familiarity with data technologies such as no-SQL or distributed databases (e.g. Hadoop, Spark) is an asset.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently within a cross-functional team.
What we offer:
You will be working with and supported by industry leaders in network communication and entertainment media design. You will learn the inside-out of 5G and IoT Technologies and help shape their future use-cases and applications. You will be working out of our beautifully designed lab at Communitech, where you will have exposure to the bigger tech-space surrounding us and communicate directly with Rogers’ data science, product, design and strategy teams. You will gain first-hand experience in building and owning new business solutions from the ground up. You will get the benefits of working with a national Canadian corporation in a fast-paced agile environment focused on creativity and innovation using latest technologies.
Length of Contract: 4 Months
Work Location: 115-94 Bridgeport Rd. E (468), Waterloo, ON
Travel Requirements: None
Posting Category/Function: Student/New Grad & Co-op
Requisition ID: 216468
Together, we'll make more possible, and these six shared values guide and define our work:
- Our people are at the heart of our success
- Our customers come first. They inspire everything we do
- We do what’s right, each and every day
- We believe in the power of new ideas
- We work as one team, with one vision
- We give back to our communities and protect our environment
What makes us different makes us stronger. Rogers has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Everyone who applies for a job will be considered. We recognize the business value in creating a workplace where each team member has the tools to reach their full potential. At Rogers, we value the insights and innovation that diverse teams bring to work. We work with our candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process to ensure that they have what they need to be at their best. Please reach out to our recruiters and hiring managers to begin a conversation about how we can ensure that you deliver your best work. You matter to us! For any questions, please visit the Rogers FAQ.