Reviving Baseball In Inner-Cities (Rbi) Coach
At Rogers, we connect Canadians to a world of possibilities and the memorable moments that matter most in their lives. Every day we wake up with one purpose in mind. To bring loved ones together from across the globe. To connect people to each other and the world around them. To help an entrepreneur realize her dream. A sports fan celebrate a special moment.
Because we believe connections unite us, possibilities fuels us, and moments define us.
Reviving Baseball in Inner-Cities (RBI) Coach (up to 50 positions)
NATURE & SCOPE
Jays Care Foundation is looking for up to 50 energetic, passionate, and experienced recreation program leaders to be coaches in our inaugural Reviving Baseball in Inner-Cities (RBI) program. This RBI program is 7 weeks long (starting in mid-April and running to the end of May, 2019). The program is a fun and inclusive baseball program for children aged 10 to 12 attending schools in priority neighbourhoods in Toronto. The program takes place twice a week (one practice and one game) from 3:30pm to 5:30pm. Practices are hosted at designated schools and games are hosted at nearby baseball diamonds. RBI Coaches facilitate dynamic baseball practices that help children increase their confidence and build relationships. RBI Coaches work with up to 3 community coach volunteers to ensure that practices and games are fun, safe and inclusive.
Candidates should have some experience coaching baseball and/or leading recreational activities for children. All successful candidates will participate in a full day of training to enhance their knowledge, skills and confidence in planning and leading fun baseball practices.
Program Specialist, RBI
April 1st to June 21st, 2019: The contract term for this position will be approximately 12 weeks, working between 4 and 10 hours per week. Successful candidates will be required to attend paid training at the beginning of April, and work between two and four evenings per week (usual hours: 3:30pm to 5:30pm).
RBI Coaches are expected to:
Role model best coach behaviours:
- Attend any training sessions as assigned before the start of or during the program
- Be respectful, open-to, and receptive of coaching and mentoring from their supervisors
- Arrive each day on time (3:30pm) and leave after clean-up and pick up is completed (approximately 5:30pm)
- Take daily attendance of all players
- Ensure that all players’ forms are up-to-date (i.e. registration forms, photo release forms, field trip forms, etc.)
- Arrive prepared with a coaching plan (including a coaching theme, a series of drills and skills and a series of modified games)
- Set the general tone for RBI by leading the introduction, rules and goals of RBI on the first day
- Ensure that the program is safe and inclusive
- Ensure that the equipment is well cared for and effectively stored
- Help assistant coaches understand their role and integrate into each practice
- Promote and foster an environment of inclusion and teamwork between players
- Supervise and provide ongoing support and direction to all players and assistant coaches
Role model inclusive and creative techniques with players:
- Encourage players to participate in all drills and skills
- Create a safe space among players where they can share their ideas and opinions
Manage issues and concerns as they arise:
- Report to your Supervisor any concerns or incidences related to safety, health, behaviour; including parent questions
- Take the lead and coordinate responses in a timely matter to all concerns, accidents, injuries and emergencies during practices and/or games
- Ensure that the field/practice space is well-cared for during your practices and left in the same or better condition
- Communicate with guardians of players to address any concerns or urgent situations
- Maintain a co-operative relationship with other programs and agencies within the school and communicate
- Other duties as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- A love of baseball and/or softball
- A high level of energy and a commitment to working with children
- A positive attitude every day, and the ability to motivate and keep children engaged
- An ability to engage children and youth in meaningful ways
- An ability to support, motivate and mentor volunteers
- Creative energy
- Experience with program planning, implementation, and evaluation of community based programs
- Proven organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated conflict resolution experience
- First Aid qualifications (minimum of Emergency First Aid) is an asset, or must be willing to obtain certificate prior to commencement of work assignment
PLEASE NOTE - Applicants 18 years of age and over, must present a valid and suitable Vulnerable Sector Check prior to commencing employment.
Once you apply, we will review your resume to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role and only qualified candidates will be contacted for next steps. If you move forward, the process will include an interview and reference check.
Schedule: Part time
Length of Contract: 3 Months
Work Location: 1 Blue Jays Way (210), Toronto, ON
Travel Requirements: None
Posting Category/Function: Project Management & Coordination
Requisition ID: 132559
Together, we'll make more possible, and these six shared values guide and define our work:
- Our people are at the heart of our success
- Our customers come first. They inspire everything we do
- We do what’s right, each and every day
- We believe in the power of new ideas
- We work as one team, with one vision
- We give back to our communities and protect our environment
What makes us different makes us stronger. Rogers has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Everyone who applies for a job will be considered. We recognize the business value in creating a workplace where each team member has the tools to reach their full potential. At Rogers, we value the insights and innovation that diverse teams bring to work. We work with our candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process to ensure that they have what they need to be at their best. Please reach out to our recruiters and hiring managers to begin a conversation about how we can ensure that you deliver your best work. You can also reach out to our team at RogersRecruiting@rci.rogers.com to begin a conversation about your individual accessibility needs throughout the hiring process.