Omni Reporter - Mandarin
At Rogers, we connect Canadians to a world of possibilities and the memorable moments that matter most in their lives. Every day we wake up with one purpose in mind. To bring loved ones together from across the globe. To connect people to each other and the world around them. To help an entrepreneur realize her dream. A sports fan celebrate a special moment.
Because we believe connections unite us, possibilities fuels us, and moments define us.
Are you in tune with what's important to the Chinese community in Canada? Can you get the clips you need to report on relevant and engaging stories? Is communicating on social media second nature to you? If so, you might be the right person for us.
OMNI is looking for a National Reporter (Mandarin) who is a passionate and reliable self-starter. You can work independently, but also as part of a diverse newsroom. You will be responsible for working on stories both in the studio, and out in the field for multiple media platforms to research, write and report on stories for our National newscasts produced by Fairchild New Media. Our ideal candidate will be resourceful, and dedicated to delivering compelling, informative and relevant stories on multiple media platforms.
- Research/write and reporting on a daily basis.
- Be on top of all major news stories and cover breaking news stories
- Build a strong network within the Chinese community partners
- Liaise with other producer, and reporters and on a daily basis, as well as on next-day and longer-term editorial stories.
- Attend daily content meetings and contribute to creative brainstorms on new news content.
- May be required to help Focus community programming
- Pitch, chase, write, research and present stories on-air for OMNI News Mandarin newscasts with an emphasis on content for the Chinese community
- Staying up-to-date on current events and issues important to the Chinese community with the goal of providing quick concise details of these stories on-air
- Use social media as a promotional platform to drive viewers to watch our news programs as well as a story-telling tool to engage our audience
- Attend daily content and programming meetings as well as contribute to creative brainstorms on new content including branded content development
- Develop and maintain news contacts for interviews
- Write compelling, accurate news copy for all platforms, including story leads, segment leads, bumpers and promos
- Monitor all news sources and be on top of breaking news and developing situations
- Assist in breaking news coverage - including helping coordinate live coverage, setting up interviews for broadcast, and sourcing pictures and video for all platforms
- Research and arrange interviews for news stories and shows when required
- Back-fill for Anchor shifts as needed, and work multiple shifts including evenings and weekends
- Must be fluent in Mandarin and be able to write/type in Simplified and/or Traditional Chinese characters
- Minimum of 1-2 yearsâ€¯broadcast experience in news
- Strong on-air presentation skills, with an emphasis on live remote abilities and unscripted material
- Familiarity with the culture, needs, and sensibilities of the Chinese community
- Experience writing, editing, and conducting in-person interviews
- Ability to react quickly, multi-task, handle situations, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong news judgment, good writing skills, knowledge of current events, and excellent communication and people skills
- Self-starter, energetic, creative, detail-oriented, and a problem solver
- Ability to make sense of complex news stories and the talent to write them in a fair, clear, concise, and lively manner
- Must be able to take direction well and willing to adapt to rapidly changing technology and new online skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation
- Possess a solid network of contacts within the Chinese community
- Active social media presence with a demonstrated ability to produce engaging content for social media users, including on Weibo, WeChat, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
- Experience with Quantel Technology an asset
- Control room and field production experience an asset
- A broadcast journalism diploma or equivalent experience
Schedule: Full time
Length of Contract: Not Applicable (Regular Position)
Work Location: 33 Dundas St. East (909), Toronto, ON
Travel Requirements: None
Posting Category/Function: Broadcasting & News
Requisition ID: 168470
Together, we'll make more possible, and these six shared values guide and define our work:
- Our people are at the heart of our success
- Our customers come first. They inspire everything we do
- We do what’s right, each and every day
- We believe in the power of new ideas
- We work as one team, with one vision
- We give back to our communities and protect our environment
What makes us different makes us stronger. Rogers has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Everyone who applies for a job will be considered. We recognize the business value in creating a workplace where each team member has the tools to reach their full potential. At Rogers, we value the insights and innovation that diverse teams bring to work. We work with our candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process to ensure that they have what they need to be at their best. Please reach out to our recruiters and hiring managers to