Data Centre Technician
At Rogers, we connect Canadians to a world of possibilities and the memorable moments that matter most in their lives. Every day we wake up with one purpose in mind. To bring loved ones together from across the globe. To connect people to each other and the world around them. To help an entrepreneur realize her dream. A sports fan celebrate a special moment.
Because we believe connections unite us, possibilities fuels us, and moments define us.
The Data Centre Technician (DCT) is the initial point of contact at the facility and is responsible for ensuring the data centre and building are maintained in a professional and secure manner. Ensuring positive experiences for customers as they enter, exit, and work at the data centre is also a primary responsibility. The DCT will be the first responder and primary point of contact for incidents in the data centre. This position reports to the Data Centre Manager
Edmonton has 2 Data Centres. During the work week, the employee in this position may be requested to work out of either of the 2 Data Centres.
Reliability Level Security Clearance:
Reliability Level Security Clearance is required for Rogers to be awarded government and private sector Colocation and Managed Services contracts which involve protected and classified information. As such, depending on your location, you may be required to obtain Reliability Level Security Clearance post hire which will require you to be fingerprinted. Additionally, you will may be requested to provide 5 years of criminal background checks from your country of residence for the last five years. This is a condition of employment in some Data Centre locations and if unable to obtain Reliability Level Security Clearance where required, may result in termination of employment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Security – Ensuring the property is secure for tenants and clients, management of access cards, surveillance monitoring, investigation of problem situations
- Daily Operations – Receiving duties, site inspection/walk-throughs, and timely reporting of incidents outside of normal operating policy
- Network - Ability to follow network jargon and knowledge of cross connects installation and troubleshooting.
- Emergency Operations – Primary point of contact/communications for staff, management, and emergency responders during a site incident
- Administration – Shift change communications, documentation/reporting, maintaining a tidy work environment etc.
- Customer Service – Meet or exceed established Service Desk and/or individual goals of customer satisfaction
- Continuous Improvement – Identify and report to the Data Centre Manager any situation or concerns that would improve quality or mitigate risk
- Excellent English language verbal and written communication skills
- High School graduate with some Post-Secondary education preferred
- Technical Traning by a recognized institution. Network, IT systems can apply as technical knowledge.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Customer service experience
- Ability to work shifts that include: morning, afternoon, evening, and/or overnight on weekdays and weekends. Holidays as well.
- Strong ability to build rapport with co-workers and clients
- Ability to work calmly in high pressure situations
- Must be able to provide a clear background check and credit check as well as obtain Reliability Level Security Clearance
Schedule: Full time
Length of Contract: Not Applicable (Regular Position)
Work Location: 17204 114 Avenue (198), Edmonton, AB
Travel Requirements: Up to 10%
Posting Category/Function: Reporting and Analytics & Analyst
Together, we'll make more possible, and these six shared values guide and define our work:
- Our people are at the heart of our success
- Our customers come first. They inspire everything we do
- We do what’s right, each and every day
- We believe in the power of new ideas
- We work as one team, with one vision
- We give back to our communities and protect our environment
What makes us different makes us stronger. Rogers has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Everyone who applies for a job will be considered. We recognize the business value in creating a workplace where each team member has the tools to reach their full potential. At Rogers, we value the insights and innovation that diverse teams bring to work. We work with our candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process to ensure that they have what they need to be at their best. Please reach out to our recruiters and hiring managers to begin a conversation about how we can ensure that you deliver your best work. You can also reach out to our team at RogersRecruiting@rci.rogers.com to begin a conversation about your individual accessibility needs throughout the hiring process.