At Rogers, we connect Canadians to a world of possibilities and the memorable moments that matter most in their lives. Every day we wake up with one purpose in mind. To bring loved ones together from across the globe. To connect people to each other and the world around them. To help an entrepreneur realize her dream. A sports fan celebrate a special moment.
Because we believe connections unite us, possibilities fuels us, and moments define us.
CityNews is looking for a relentless and innovative story chaser capable of using traditional and non-traditional mediums to chase breaking news tips and other potential news stories. Reporting to the Managing Assignment Editor, this Assignment Editor will demonstrate exceptional story chasing skills that will produce lead worthy content
- Coordinates reporters, cameras, live eyes and other newsgathering personnel to cover breaking news and other stories of importance for the newscast
- Possess a rolodex and contacts to chase a news story
- Be plugged into social media trends and the knowledge to use it to chase breaking news tips and other potential stories
- Ability to see a tweet on twitter and determine the news value
- Be creative and forward thinking; take a proactive, hands-on approach; can direct a diverse team of journalists, and blend with the management team.
- Generates compelling story ideas and knowledgeable contacts in all fields and responds to breaking news situations quickly and accurately
- Must be well informed on current events and should read daily newspapers and watch local television news programs on a regular basis.
- Personality to build and maintain relationships with vital sources
- Assist with story research and investigation
- Determine when there is a story and when there isn't
- Must have a strong working knowledge of the Greater Toronto Area (highways, roads and back routes)
- A desire to learn other roles throughout Rogers Media
- Relevant degree / diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution
- A person who relentlessly pursues a story beyond the headline
- A person who's not afraid to push for answers
- A person who won't let a dead end stop them from producing a compelling story
- Excellent knowledge of the cultural and political landscape of Toronto and the GTA
- Exceptional communication skills
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Must be able to juggle multiple tasks and deliver under tight deadlines
- Ability to be flexible in a changing work environment
- Strong editorial judgment
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends and overnights
Schedule: Part time
Length of Contract: 12 Months
Work Location: 33 Dundas St. East (909), Toronto, ON
Travel Requirements: None
Posting Category/Function: Broadcasting & News
Requisition ID: 143162
Together, we'll make more possible, and these six shared values guide and define our work:
- Our people are at the heart of our success
- Our customers come first. They inspire everything we do
- We do what's right, each and every day
- We believe in the power of new ideas
- We work as one team, with one vision
- We give back to our communities and protect our environment
What makes us different makes us stronger. Rogers has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Everyone who applies for a job will be considered. We recognize the business value in creating a workplace where each team member has the tools to reach their full potential. At Rogers, we value the insights and innovation that diverse teams bring to work. We work with our candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process to ensure that they have what they need to be at their best. Please reach out to our recruiters and hiring managers to begin a conversation about how we can ensure that you deliver your best work. You can also reach out to our team at RogersRecruiting@rci.rogers.com to begin a conversation about your individual accessibility needs throughout the hiring process.