Length of term: Monday, December 10, 2018 –Friday, September 27, 2019 (10 months)
PDAC 2019: The World’s Premier Mineral Exploration & Mining Convention is a four-day annual Convention held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC). It has grown in size, stature and influence since it began in 1932 and today is the event of choice for the world’s mineral industry. In addition to meeting over 1000 exhibitors and 25,000 attendees from 135 countries, it allows attendees the opportunity to attend technical sessions, short courses as well as social and networking events.
PDAC is looking for a full-time contract Convention Assistant to aid with the Convention and Exhibition. This position is task-driven, requiring the ability to take on multiple responsibilities and apply initiative to ensure follow-through on projects. The Convention Assistant will also bring administrative strength to the team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate the rental of meeting space (Presentation & Reception Rooms)
- Update application forms & floor plans, post application packages online, accept & process application forms & payments, assign meeting space, provide instructions to renters, gather/collate marketing descriptions, provide edited descriptions for marketing purposes
- Develop/coordinate the production of print and digital signage to be utilized at the MTCC
- Print – gather/collate information required for signage from various sources, determine sign sizes & quantities, work with graphic designer, distribute proofs to staff, collate edits, review signage order is correct before going onsite, sign placement onsite
- Digital – gather/collate information required for signage from various sources, work with MTCC staff person who inputs data, distribute proofs to staff, collate edits, ensure signage is correct onsite, coordinate onsite edits
- Answer convention related questions received via telephone
- Respond to general convention emails requests
- Registration data entry (limited)
- Administrative assistance to the Convention Director and team (including booking meetings, writing emails, pulling lists from a database, updating documents, etc.)
- Pre and Post-convention – packing/unpacking boxes, shipping follow-up materials, etc.
- Other tasks as required
Qualifications and experience
- Previous experience in event planning or an Association environment preferred
- Previous work experience as an Assistant/Receptionist
- An ideal candidate for this position would have a post-secondary diploma and event related experience
- Exceptional administrative and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing and proof reading and the ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy. Excellent “people skills”
- Working experience with web content management systems and/or HTML an asset
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment
- Ability to learn quickly, focus on the details and follow explicit direction
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team player
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (primarily Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Flexibility and willingness to work on occasional evenings and weekends where required and agreed, must be available to work long hours through onsite dates (March 1-6)
Please email cover letter and resume directly to Nicole Sampson at email@example.com No phone calls please. Interviews will be conducted as suitable candidates are identified. PDAC would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.