Residential Youth Counsellor
FULL TIME RESIDENTIAL YOUTH COUNSELLOR, TEAM LEADER
(Weekly Rotating Shifts - 2 week AM, 2 week PM)
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Near Shelburne, ON
Pine River Institute is an innovative co-ed residential treatment program for teens struggling with addictive behaviours. We are a family-centered program comprised of 4 phases: Wilderness (Outdoor Leadership Experience), Residential, Transition, and Aftercare. Every student, upon entering the program, spends 6 or more weeks in Huntsville before moving to the residence. Day-to-day activities in wilderness include canoeing, hiking, snowshoeing, group initiatives, group and individual therapy, and journaling. Youths live and work in nature in groups of up to eight, with three staff.
Our campus is situated on 200 acres of spectacular Niagara Escarpment land near Shelburne, Ontario. The program here includes outdoor education, individual, group, and family therapy, expressive arts, athletics, and life skills, as well as the more traditional academic offerings. We are currently seeking experienced Wilderness Field Instructors to help us deliver this unique program, primarily in Huntsville or Algonquin Park and also at the Shelburne campus
The ideal candidate will possess strong leadership, communication and positive role modeling skills and will possess a work style that embodies creativity and initiative.
Key Responsibilities This position reports to the Team Therapist with responsibilities that include but are not limited to: lead and develop programming groups, organize, lead and participate in daily student academic, recreational and therapeutic activities, including:
- Daily life routines
- Group therapy activities
- Family Program activities
- Academic tutoring and homework assistance
- Food Preparation and related kitchen duties
- Off-Campus trips, over-night camping trips
Providing exceptional leadership, mentoring and positive relationships with students through:
- Participation in and facilitation of group meetings & discussions
- Development of student action plans
- Coordination of student recreational activities
- Contribute, as part of a multi-disciplinary therapeutic team to evaluate student progress and plan individual plan modifications as required.
- Help ensure the therapeutic goals of the program in general and the individual therapeutic plan for the students are realized.
- Provide written reports as required in a timely and comprehensive manner.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated sound judgment, integrity, patience, commitment and a sense of humour.
- CYW diploma or equivalent
- Some experience with and training in child and youth care practices.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and professional.
- Demonstrated commitment to personal growth and development.
- Valid First Aid Certification & Level ‘C’ CPR.
If you want to make a difference and believe you have the right stuff, we want to hear from you!
We offer competitive compensation, and the opportunity to be part of an exciting and innovative program. With guarantee increases every 6 months for 2yrs; 3 week’s Vacation, Health and Dental & LTD Benefits.
Interested candidates should apply to Jennifer Rutledge, Manager Human Resources in writing at email@example.com by February 15, 2019
We thank all applicants who apply. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Pine River Institute strives to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free. If you require an accommodation, please advise in advance of attending the interview.