Youth Engagement Worker
Nexus Youth Services, Nexus Youth Centre
Permanent Full-time (37.5 hours/week)
Peel Children's Centre is an accredited children’s mental health agency that provides a continuum of high quality mental health services for children, youth and their families who are experiencing or may experience serious emotional difficulties. Our services are provided in a dynamic, client-centered environment that values flexibility, accessibility and responsiveness.
Nexus Youth Services is a fully accredited, community based, counselling and resource service for young people ages 14 to 24 who live in the Region of Peel and who are feeling isolated from support systems. Nexus provides individual counselling services in both an office-based and community setting. In all aspects of service delivery, Nexus is committed to engaging youth and helping them to achieve their goals.
Reporting to the Clinical Supervisor of Nexus Youth Services, you will be working at Nexus Youth Centre (NYC), located in the Mississauga Central Library. In the Youth Engagement Worker position, you will provide support to youth (ages 14-24) at NYC through the development and administration of employment, social and cultural programming that will assist youth in meeting their basic needs and achieving goals of functioning independently and effectively in the community. Through the use of youth engagement strategies, you will encourage youth-driven and youth-led initiatives and activities, creating community partnerships which support youth participation. You will provide mentorship and guidance to youth employed with NYS.
The successful incumbent will:
* Have a Child and Youth Worker Diploma (3 year program) or a Bachelors Degree in Social Sciences with three years of directly related experience in youth engagement or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
* Possess directly related experience working with youth from diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds;
* Possess previous experience, ability and desire to work with marginalized youth (i.e. out of school, impoverished, underemployed, in conflict with the law, socially isolated etc.);
* Demonstrate commitment to working with youth and have a proven ability to effectively partner with a broad spectrum of community stakeholders;
* Demonstrate a passion for working with youth and possess working knowledge of social service, educational, and employment systems and resources within Peel;
* Have proven ability in the delivery of job search, life skills, employment and interview preparation with strategies geared toward youth;
* Demonstrate the ability to work well independently and within a team approach;
* Have above average communication skills, both oral and written;
* Be computer literate with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite;
* Be able to work flexible hours, including evenings;
* Have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle; travel within Peel will be required.
The annual salary range for this position is from $44,455 to $54,014. As a full-time employee, you would also be eligible for Peel Children’s Centre’s benefit and pension plans, as well as generous vacation and personal leave time.
Please note that all successful candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector police records check prior to the commencement of employment.
At Peel Children's Centre we value diversity in our workplace, our clientele and our communities. We are actively engaged in building an increasingly diverse workforce. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply no later than December 10, 2018.
Please submit a cover letter and chronological resume, referring to File # 18-060 through the careers page of the Nexus Youth Services website. Only documents submitted in Microsoft Word or PDF format will be accepted.
Peel Children’s Centre and Nexus Youth Services
85A Aventura Court
Mississauga, ON L5T 2Y6
We appreciate your interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If selected to participate in the assessment and/or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used. If a selected applicant requests an accommodation, we shall consult with the applicant and provide or arrange for the provision of a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.