Child & Youth Counsellor Assistant
Connect Program (Caledon Campus)
Part-time (24 hrs/wk)
File # 18-063
Peel Children's Centre is an accredited children’s mental health centre that provides a continuum of high quality mental health services for children, youth and their families who are experiencing or may experience serious emotional difficulties. Our services are provided in a dynamic, client-centred environment that values flexibility, accessibility and responsiveness.
The Connect Treatment and Recreational Program is a collaboration between the Intensive Child and Family Services Program of Peel Children’s Centre and the Children’s Aid Society of the Region of Peel. Individualized treatment plans focus on each client’s social, emotional, behavioural and educational needs. Interventions are primarily provided after-school, with some resources available to support clients in school.
Working in conjunction with the Child and Youth Counsellor, the Child and Youth Counsellor Assistant provides direct service to clients by carrying out therapeutic and recreational activities identified in the treatment plan, in keeping with the clinical environment established by the Child and Youth Counsellor. As a member of the multidisciplinary team, the Child and Youth Counsellor Assistant will implement treatment plans for each client in collaboration with other team members.
The successful incumbent will:
- Have the ability to respond to and support client’s unique mental health needs, within a therapeutic environment, in the context of a multi-disciplinary treatment plan and an integrated school setting;
- Have a thorough knowledge of mental health issues and the ability to apply behavioral skills;
- Have the ability to develop and implement treatment and social skills groups in support of the treatment needs of the individual clients;
- Use tact and judgment in a respectful manner and have the ability to apply these skills in a variety of situations;
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal, teaming and conflict resolution skills;
- Be able to effectively follow clinical direction;
- Demonstrate sensitivity to client needs through a strength based approach;
- Have a proven understanding of a milieu environment and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, within a school setting;
- Utilize high levels of oral and written communication skills, time management and critical thinking skills with a strong understanding of role boundaries;
- Have the ability to effectively assess, manage, design, and implement a crisis plan to ensure safety within the milieu setting;
- Be available to work the academic year, taking earned vacation during school holidays;
- Have basic computer literacy to operate computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and email software;
- Possess a Child & Youth Worker diploma with a minimum of one year of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Have a valid Driver’s License and proof of $2 Million liability insurance;
- Possess a valid First Aid Certificate level B or C.
The annual salary range for this position is from $26,670 to $32,410 based on a 24 hour work week.
Please note that all successful candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector police records check prior to the commencement of employment.
At Peel Children’s Centre we value diversity in our workplace, our clientele and our communities. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply no later than January 10, 2019.
Please submit a cover letter and resume, referring to File #18-063 Child and Youth Counsellor Assistant in the subject line of an email to email@example.com. Only applications in Word or PDF will be accepted.
Peel Children’s Centre
85A Aventura Court
We appreciate your interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If selected to participate in the assessment and/or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used. If a selected applicant requests an accommodation, we shall consult with the applicant and provide or arrange for the provision of a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.