PARKDALE QUEEN WEST COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTRE
Medical Secretary – Internal/External Posting
1.0 FTE – Regular Full Time
Parkdale Queen West CHC is a non-profit registered charity, community-based health organization committed to improving the health of community members, particularly those at risk for poverty and discrimination. Our multi-disciplinary approach includes the provision of primary health/dental care, counselling, harm reduction, community development, advocacy, and innovative partnerships with other organizations. Parkdale Queen West is a leader in the development of inner-city health services focusing on the needs of homeless and street-involved adults and youth, families, children and individuals living in the catchment area. Parkdale Queen West is a pro-choice and LGBTTQ and 2-Spirit -positive organization committed to employment equity and anti-discrimination. Our facilities are fully accessible.
The Medical Secretary provides initial and ongoing personal and telephone contact for the Clinics’ clients, visitors and staff. Working with other Medical Secretaries to ensure the smooth operation of the reception function performs secretarial and administrative duties and assists other staff in their administrative and professional duties as required.
Medical Secretary reports to the Clinical and Admin Coordinator
- Contributes to a welcoming environment through sensitive interactions with clients, maintenance of safety and respect for all in the waiting area
- Ascertains client’s needs, provides appropriate referrals and information as required
- Establishes rapport with clients in order to build trust and promote effective service use.
- Coordinates client services with other providers through making appointments with specialists and other agencies and informs clients of appropriate scheduling
- Prepares, maintains, updates, retrieves, tracks and files charts manually and electronically
- Production of referrals and correspondence as directed by the clinical staff
- Maintains appointment scheduling template and an up-to-date resource and referral directory
- Revise providers’ schedules
- Responsible for the incoming and out-going mail
- Responsible for the document management and distribution systems and maintain inventory of necessary forms and office supplies
- Responsible for telephones including retrieving messages from answering service
- Assists in programs as required for example harm reduction and concrete resource distribution
- Secondary school diploma.
- Medical Secretary Certificate or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Two to five years of office experience in a health setting.
- Proficiency in typing and in the use of computers and various software applications e.g. word processing, database, and spreadsheets.
- Proficiency in language (s) other than English considered an asset.
- Established administrative and organizational skills gained through several years of office experience.
- Previous experience in community health/social services preferred.
- Ability to function calmly in a sometimes hectic work environment, using strong communication and conflict resolution skills.
Salary range: $37,825 - $45,540 with HOOPP and benefits
- Please note that this is a UFCW Local 175 bargaining unit position. The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to participate in Parkdale Queen West’s commitment to becoming a discrimination-free health centre and an ability to work interdependently and respectfully in a multi-disciplinary team. Languages other than English are an asset. To better represent the communities we serve, applications from members of Aboriginal peoples, racial or cultural minority groups, people with disabilities and LGBTTQ and 2 spirit communities are encouraged to apply. Parkdale Queen West is fully accessible and AODA compliant; please advise if you need accommodation in the recruitment process. Parkdale Queen West CHC is in full compliance of the Ontario Human Rights Code and does not discriminate on the ground of records of offences.
Please forward your cover letter and resume by 5:00 pm Friday, February 15th, 2019 to:
Subject Line: CTCHC Job # PC 26R
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centres
168 Bathurst Street, Toronto ON M5V 2R4
We regret that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.