Work with OpenMedia
Title: Operations Director
OpenMedia is looking for an Operations Director to provide operational and financial leadership, supporting our team in working to keep the Internet open, affordable, and surveillance-free.
If you have experience managing financial systems, creating and implementing policies, and believe in participation, collaboration and empowerment, then this is the job for YOU!
OpenMedia is an effective, dynamic team leading the charge to protect the possibilities of the open Internet. We believe in the power of the Internet to make the world better. To do that, Internet access must be affordable and fast, personal privacy must be respected online, and free expression must be the default mode of the web.
We are a lean digital rights group that punches well above our weight. Our community is changing the way the Internet comes together to defend our digital freedoms — the freedoms that make the Internet an empowering tool for sharing knowledge, culture, and connecting us all.
And, we happen to be looking for another practical idealist who doesn’t want just any ordinary job.
OpenMedia’s Operations Director provides operational and financial leadership and leads the development and implementation of practices that support our team health.
This critical senior leadership position has the opportunity to make a significant impact on the OpenMedia team and community. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Operations Director will work closely with other directors and team members on organizational strategy and team integration. This role is key to advancing OpenMedia’s ongoing work on diversity, equality, anti-oppression and inclusivity, and will have touch points with every team to ensure we cultivate our participatory culture.
Key responsibilities include:
- Directing human resources, including personnel policies and hiring, benefits, travel, staff training, and advancement.
- Leading organization-wide participatory budgeting, reporting, and forecasting, and oversee all elements of financial management, including the annual audit.
- Overseeing our project management tools, systems, and processes.
- Ensuring OpenMedia is meeting all non-profit governance requirements.
- Supervising our Operations Manager.
Here’s who we hope you are:
- You are a problem-solver. You relish a challenge and can take on a project and get it moving. Your proactive approach and willingness to think outside the box makes you the go-to person for getting a project that is stuck moving along, and you have a demonstrated ability to turn plans into action.
- You are empathetic and trustworthy. As a good listener, you’re well positioned to be a convener and facilitator. You’re not afraid to have powerful conversations and to do the work to help transform conflict within the organization, and you have a keen sense of how to approach it.
- You are a people person. You are patient and supportive, but know when to stand your ground. You welcome constructive criticism, and you know how to roll with interpersonal dynamics that can be daunting to others.
- You live for organization. Lots of moving pieces don’t scare you — you’re looking to jump in and make sense of many interdependent systems.
- You are a mastermind of strategic planning. Your years of management experience and proven track record in financial and strategic planning have left you ideally positioned to help OpenMedia evolve to face the challenges ahead.
- You know how to get the most out of your team. At OpenMedia, we are passionate about showing what people can do when they work together. That starts with our staff. Your extensive experience building, managing, and empowering teams mean you know how to get the most out of the talented professionals who work here.
- You are dynamic. This is a fast-paced environment. Really fast-paced. You can jump between tasks, issues, and communication streams with the elegance of a jazz musician, while never losing sight of the importance of taking breaks, self-care and team health.
- You can laugh at yourself. Sometimes we make mistakes. And when this happens, we all agree to “fail forward” and support each other. This means you’re collaborative, humble, and can bring people together to build a “win-win strategy” for good internal and external alliances.
Skills and experience
You MUST have:
- HR and management experience including the supervision of direct reports;
- Experience with project management — including designing processes to collect and integrate feedback into projects that impact organization-wide decision making;
- Experience preparing budgets and financial reports;
- Strong planning, organizing, and problem-solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to a collaborative and inclusive approach to decision making that focuses on enabling each member of the team to achieve mastery, autonomy, and purpose over their own work;
- A strong commitment to an Internet that is open, affordable, and surveillance-free.
The following skills are not required, but are highly relevant:
- Giving and receiving feedback to continually improve and have a greater impact;
- Working with external stakeholders and contractors to find creative solutions to organizational challenges;
- Ability to work remotely with team members around the world; and
- Creating personnel and staffing plans; and
- Taking charge of special projects that need a proactive leader to advance.
- Tell us about your passion for OpenMedia's work in 200 words or less. This is a crucial opportunity to distinguish your application from many others.
- Please provide a *brief* cover letter – one-page max – that shows how you meet all six requirements in the “must have” section (bulleted lists are fine!).
- Submit your resume.
- If there are any accommodations that we can provide to make our hiring process more accessible for you, or if you have any ideas for improving our hiring process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org directly. We are happy to do our best to set you up for success.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Aboriginal persons, women, LGBTQ-identified persons, people of colour, and persons with disabilities. Not certain your credentials are a 100% match with the position description? Please apply anyway! We’re looking to find the right person for our team, with relevant skills and experience – not a mandatory checklist against the position itself.
This position is based in our head office in Vancouver, Canada. Remote working is available to all staff members, but this position will have some in-person days required regularly.
This is a permanent position with a six-month probation period. Salary is commensurate with experience, but we are able to hire in the range of $65-70k per annum. We offer a comprehensive, competitive, extended health benefits package.
We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis, and this position will remain open until we find the right candidate.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with OpenMedia. Only those being moved forward to the next round of the application process will be contacted.