E-Learning Instructional Designer
The Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI) acts as a collective voice for immigrant and refugee-serving organizations and coordinates response to shared needs and concerns. OCASI is a registered charity governed by a volunteer board of directors. OCASI’s membership is comprised of over 230 community-based organizations in Ontario.
LearnAtWork.ca is the platform for the development and delivery of OCASI’s courses in the areas of Access and Equity, Gender-Based Violence, Mental Health, Settlement, and public education.
The E-Learning Instructional Designer is responsible for the design, development, and implementation of e-learning courses that build capacity and provide professional development opportunities for settlement sector practitioners.
The E-Learning Instructional Designer will collaborate with OCASI staff, consultants, and course facilitators for the design, development, and implementation of new courses and updates to existing courses.
The E-Learning Instructional Designer will work closely with the management team to plan and implement product upgrades and to develop and execute strategic plans for the E-Learning platform and course offerings.
Reports to: Senior Manager, IT & New Media
- Support digital learning productions for OCASI’s professional development and training program and services
- Work with subject matter experts (internally or externally) to identify learning needs
- Assume expert consultation role and provide design alternatives applying state-of-the-art synchronous and asynchronous instructional design models to courses
- Develop course structure throughout all development stages of online learning, including their implementation and maintenance
- Design and incorporate learning objectives, structured learning activities, and modes of assessment, such as tests or quizzes that measure the effectiveness of the clients learning modules
- Apply sound instructional design principles to create engaging e-learning using rapid authoring tools like Storyline
- Write and edit effective copy, instructional text, and audio and video scripts, as appropriate
- Perform quality assurance on all developed products
- Work on multiple E-Learning projects simultaneously at various stages of development
- Escalate project issues in a timely manner to the appropriate internal stakeholders
- Design and develop instructor-led training material, quick reference guides, and online help documents
- Design and publish online context-sensitive help documents
- Design hands-on exercises for system and tool training including creating data when required
- Adhere to a staged development process, obtaining required sign off at required stage gates in development
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the instructional design standards and development methodology
- Champion and adhere to the naming standards, version control mechanisms and document management requirements for instructional materials
- Prepare applications or documentation to secure project funding
- Prepare cheque requisitions in accordance with set procedures for approval by the manager
- Contribute to a healthy and safe environment for oneself and others and complies with all safe working procedures and instructions including OCASI’s policies and procedures
- Uphold OCASI’s basic principles for the workplace environment including commitments to the needs, directions, and concerns of immigrants and refugees and OCASI’s member organizations
- Embrace and actively upholds OCASI’s mission, equity, access, anti-racism, and anti-operation principles
- Acknowledge, appreciate, and encourage individual differences and value people for their skills, competencies, and contribution to OCASI’s continuing success
- Leverage adult-learning theory to design and develop new courses and update existing courses with exceptional quality
- Collaborate on the development of E-Learning strategic plans
- Develop and implement work plans for the design, development, and implementation of new courses and updates to existing courses.
- Develop and implement work plans for product upgrades
- Develop processes and procedures to facilitate the design, development, and implementation of new courses and updates to existing courses
- Keep abreast of E-Learning technology changes and innovations and E-Learning best practices and put forward corresponding recommendations
- Other duties as required including assisting in cross-team promotional and content support
- Degree or equivalent in instructional design, teaching, and learning in higher education, educational technology, training, and development, or a related field
- 3-5 years of experience working in a similar capacity
- Awareness of the immigrant and refugee sector and the various programs and services provided for newcomers to Canada
- Demonstrable experience and competency to develop instructional material in various formats (written or video) for online courses
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify target audience needs and development solutions, and logically organize complex information
- Knowledge and competency to apply instructional design theories, learning theories and concepts of curriculum development
- Knowledge about and experience in using various educational technologies, including, Moodle, Articulate StoryLine, Articulate Studio, Adobe Captivate, Photoshop, Adobe After Effects and Illustrator etc
- Excellent relationship building skills and the ability to work both independently and as a successful team member
- Awareness of current instructional design trends and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to integrate in-depth knowledge of equity, access, and anti-racism into all aspects of the work
- Fluent in English (bilingual French preferred) with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills and solid judgment
- Strong team player, comfortable collaborating with a variety of different stakeholders within OCASI and external to OCASI and in an environment where projects and priorities often change
- Expertise with strategic planning and project planning, including the development and implementation of work plans.
- Knowledge of E-Learning best practices and the development of organizational processes and procedures
This is a full-time position
Compensation: $50,000 / year + plus benefits package
How to apply:
Please submit your covering letter and resume by December 14, 2018, before 5:00 p.m. to:
Hiring Committee, OCASI
OCASI is committed to Employment Equity.
Thank you to all applicants for applying. However, we regret that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.