Summer Intern - Tax (term position)
Join an Industry Leader!
We’re currently seeking a Summer Intern for our global tax team interested in pursuing a career as a CPA with a keen interest in Canadian taxation and the taxation of Canadian foreign affiliates. This role is designated for a 3rd or 4th year student with some knowledge of taxation of Canadian entities with foreign affiliates.
Who is Norbord?
Norbord Inc. is a leading global manufacturer of wood-based panels and the world’s largest producer of oriented strand board (OSB). In addition to OSB, Norbord manufactures particleboard, medium density fibreboard and related value-added products. Norbord has assets of approximately $1.9 billion and employs approximately 2,700 people at 17 plant locations in the United States, Canada and Europe. Norbord is a publicly traded company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “OSB”.
SUMMER INTERN, TAX
(3 month term starting immediately)
The role of the Summer Intern, Tax encompasses a variety of skills and experiences generally necessary in a tax role in industry. This role reports to the Director, Tax and Senior Manager, Tax and provides opportunities to interact with members of the global finance team. Your responsibilities may include assisting with:
- Responses to tax authority audit queries
- Contemporaneous documentation of intra- group arrangements (transfer pricing transactions)
- Compilation of surplus and safe income computations across Norbord entities
- Documentation of discussions with business units on strategic projects and departmental processes
- Researching tax issues and assisting with the modeling of consequences of initiatives
- Creating and implementing process tools (e.g. Workflow management solutions), spreadsheets and flow charts in support of tax projects
- Developing and designing of workflows supporting foreign affiliate reporting such as the T106`s, US Form 5472’s, T1134`s and the Country-by-Country report, including interfacing with Taxprep
- Implementing a workflow solution for a process co-designed with the Human Resources team for administration of tax implications to employees travelling for business.
- Working on cross-functional projects with Treasury, Legal and Finance teams
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Detail oriented
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Highly organized
- Effective time management and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative with the ability to develop and present new ideas, approaches and solutions to tax issues and processes
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate diploma/degree in business, commerce, accounting or related discipline, or pursuing a Master of Taxation (preferred)
- CPA designation, or enrolment in the CPA program is preferred
- Completion of a university level corporate tax courses required
- Knowledge of accounting principles and accounting for income taxes, and asset
- Microsoft Excel
- Use of Canadian tax software (e.g. Taxprep, In Source) and accounting software or ERP systems (e.g. Longview, AX Dynamics) an asset
Why Work for Norbord?
At Norbord, a commitment to safety, quality and customer service has earned us a reputation as a leading producer of wood-based panels. As demand for Norbord’s products grow, we continually seek bright and talented people in all areas of our business. With competitive salaries and benefits, Norbord offers one of the strongest and innovative compensation packages in the industry.
Norbord is committed to providing its employees with the training, skills, and opportunity to achieve their highest potential. Norbord offers the opportunity to excel, express ideas, and make a profound impact within our team driven organization.
If you are a team player who takes pride in a job well done and want to make a real impact at the place you work, look into a career with Norbord. You will like what you see.