MPA Society is an award-winning non-profit service agency that has supported people living with mental illness for over 45 years. Created on the principle of self-empowerment, our programs promote the dignity and well-being of people with mental illness by inspiring hope and supporting their recovery. MPA Society operates over 30 social, vocational, recreational, advocacy and housing programs that support people in their own communities.
We are looking for an experienced Accounting Manager that can hit the ground running and play an integral role in the growth and changes that MPA Society has on the horizon. We offer competitive wages and benefits, and opportunities to grow professionally within the organization while applying your abilities and values in a meaningful way for those we support.
At MPA Society, the unique capabilities and talents of our employees are our greatest asset. We believe that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhance our ability to work in partnership with the diverse communities and people we serve. MPA Society hires on the basis of merit, and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
POSTING NUMBER: 2018-44
POSITION: Accounting Manager
UNION: Non-Contract / Excluded
START DATE: ASAP
All candidates subject to a criminal records search. Qualifications and job description below.
Indicate posting number 2018-44 when sending applications and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest and we encourage you to continue checking the MPA Society website for future opportunities.
NON-CONTRACT ROLE DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Accounting Manager
REPORTS TO: Director, Finance
SUPERVISES: Accountant, Payroll Administrator
The Accounting Manager is responsible for the implementation and delivery of the organization’s accounting, budgetary, and payroll services, and ensures that fiscal, technological, physical and human resources meet the operational needs of the portfolio.
- Responsible for the organization’s monthly accounting functions, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, contract and non-contract payroll, donations, and operations funding, to the level of preparation of financial statements and budget variance analysis.
- Ensures that the financial records of the organization accurately reflect its financial position through the monitoring of cash flow, accounts payable, accounts receivable, funding earned, and operational expenses incurred by the organization. Ensures timely remittance of payroll withholdings and benefits.
- Reviews and analyzes funding contracts for related budgets and makes recommendations concerning the allocation of resources within operational programs.
- Responsible for the oversight of the agency’s integrated payroll and scheduling systems. Audits data input and output, analyzes staff utilization reports, identifies issues, and prepares summaries for managers and directors. Orients and trains supervisors, managers and directors to these systems.
- Interprets the organization’s union contracts to ensure that the automated scheduling and payroll system adheres to collective agreement provisions.
- Responsible for managing the Accountant position, including involvement in hiring, assigning and scheduling work, evaluating performance, training employees, discipline and discharge of employees, and in the initial stages of the grievance procedure.
- Responsible for maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information encountered in the human resources information system, including labour relations matters and disciplinary actions.
A combination of education, training and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Finance or Business Administration plus 3 years of experience, preferably in a unionized environment. Achievement or pursuit of CPA designation.
- Ability to work effectively within a team and in a consultative and collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage through example and provide training and instruction.
- Demonstrated commitment to continual improvement
- Demonstrated ability to work in a confidential environment, work diplomatically and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in a time sensitive environment.
- Demonstrated service oriented work ethic.
- Computer literacy in accounting, budget, and payroll systems and related software.
- Knowledge of employment laws and regulations, and of collective agreements and payroll related policies related to multi-union, multi-site operations.