Senior Accountant, Assurance and Accounting
DIFFERENT BY DESIGN
At MNP we pride ourselves on being different – it’s our entrepreneurial drive that sets us apart. It’s the same drive that’s helped us become Canada’s fastest growing national firm. We foster collaboration, value your ideas, promote based on talent, live balanced lifestyles and make time for FUN. We are one firm, one team, collaborating to support you wherever you want to take your career.
Join the momentum. We are currently seeking a Senior Accountant for our growing Assurance and Accounting team, in our Dartmouth office. Delivering quality in everything we do, MNP is a leading national accounting, tax and business consulting firm in Canada. Our Assurance and Accounting team is committed to providing meaningful and reliable financial information that ensures our clients are always well protected and positioned.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Conduct compilation, review, audit, bookkeeping and tax engagements
- Prepare financial statements and corresponding notes
- Compute taxes owed and prepare personal and corporate tax returns (and other tax compliance slips) ensuring compliance with government standards
- Prepare year-end tax forms (T4s and T5s)
- Apply knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and/or Accounting Standards for Private Enterprise (ASPE)
- Investigate and correct discrepancies/ irregularities in financial entries, documents and reports
- Respond to client questions and queries
- Raise identified technical issues with manager or engagement partner
- Update manager or engagement partner on the progress of engagements
- Vouch and assess appropriateness of audit evidence
- Clearly document evidence from testing and conclusions made
- Complete bank and other account reconciliations
- Prepare payroll, DAS, CSST, GST and QST government reports, etc.
- Prepare professional correspondence, technical reports, client summaries and presentations outlining findings, facts and highlights resulting from the client engagement
- Collaborate with client engagement team prior to commencement of client work to discuss roles and responsibilities, risk areas, materiality and deadlines
- Set-up files for new clients and newly incorporated businesses
- Work with accounting software and provide support to clients
- Develop and maintain relationships with client management
- Develop a thorough understanding of MNP’s services, businesses and industry
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes
- Raise awareness of MNP at community events
- Lead engagement teams while coaching and mentoring junior team members
- Attend internal MNP courses to further develop accounting and assurance knowledge
- Completion of a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation
- Two (2) to four (4) years of relevant work experience in public accounting
- Extensive knowledge of and experience working with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Solid understanding of business, accounting, management and practice development principles
- Experience working with accounting and tax software such as Caseware, Profile, Quickbooks and Simply Accounting
- Strong computer literacy including effective working skills of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Some travel may be required
Core Competencies and Personal Characteristics
- Integrity – professional whose honesty, integrity, confidentiality and high ethical standards contributes to effective leadership and optimal business relationships
- Energy – displays enthusiasm, optimism, drive and passion while maintaining a high level of productivity and a balanced lifestyle
- Diversity – understands the importance of different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences and is respectful of individual differences
- Communication – effectively expresses ideas and conveys information in business writing, conversations and interactions with others
- Client Service Excellence – understands the importance of quality client service by being courteous, responding to client requests in a timely manner and monitoring satisfaction
- Teamwork & Relationship Development – works collaboratively with team members in order to achieve a common goal and develops, maintains and strengthens relationships with others, both inside and outside the Firm
- Accountability – takes responsibility for one’s own performance by setting clear goals and tracking progress against those goals; is highly organized and uses personal judgement and decision making
- Flexibility – effectively manages multiple assignments, adapts to changing priorities and is able to work independently or as part of a team
MNP encourages a balanced lifestyle and offers benefits that suit the way our team members work and play! In addition to a competitive salary, our total rewards package includes paid personal days, wellness program initiatives, health and dental benefits, a group pension plan with matching contribution, firm sponsored social events and professional development assistance.
MNP proudly serves and responds to the needs of our clients in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. Through partner-led engagements, we provide a collaborative, cost-effective approach to doing business, with innovative strategies to help organizations succeed across the country and around the world.
Connect With Us
Not ready to apply? Create a profile and connect with us for general consideration.