CPA Articling Accountant, Tax
DIFFERENT BY DESIGN
At MNP we pride ourselves on being different – it’s our entrepreneurial drive that sets us apart. It’s the same drive that’s helped us become Canada’s fastest growing national firm. We foster collaboration, value your ideas, promote based on talent and make time for FUN. We are one firm, one team, collaborating to provide you with the coaching, mentoring and feedback required to launch your career.
Join the momentum. We are currently seeking a CPA Articling Accountant for our growing Tax team for our Fall 2022 intake. Providing the highest level of excellence, MNP is a leading national accounting, tax and business consulting firm in Canada. Our Tax team works with individuals and organizations in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors, providing comprehensive strategies that minimize risk, meet tax compliance and reporting requirements, reduce costs and maximize returns.
When applying, please submit your resume, cover letter, transcript and other applicable forms, as necessary, in 1 document. Applications for this role will need to be submitted by September 30, 2021.
YOUR ROLE @ MNP
- Develop technical skills in areas such as: compilations, reviews, bookkeeping and tax
- Develop and apply knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and/or Accounting Standards for Private Enterprise (ASPE)
- Develop and apply knowledge of the Canadian Income Tax Act and related legislation
- Research various tax related issues and conclude on their potential implications
- Set-up files for new clients and newly incorporated businesses, manage multiple files simultaneously and conduct inventory counts
- Collaborate with client engagement team prior to commencement of client work to discuss roles and responsibilities, risk areas, materiality and deadlines
- Collect and analyze relevant financial and tax data
- Review, investigate and correct discrepancies and irregularities in financial entries, documents and reports
- Establish charts of accounts and prepare entries for posting to accounts
- Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns ensuring compliance with government standards for various types of entities; profit, not-for-profit, partnerships and trusts (may prepare T4 and T5 tax returns)
- Perform on all sections of a client file and ensure documentation
- Prepare correspondence, technical reports, client summaries and presentations outlining findings, facts and highlights resulting from the client engagement
- Develop a thorough understanding of MNP’s services, businesses and industry through experiential learning with clients
- Liaise and correspond professionally with clients, colleagues and the firm leadership team
- Learn about key financial systems of clients and how to analyze risk
- Correspond with clients and various government agencies to address client tax compliance issues
- Raise identified client issues that need to be addressed with managers and engagement partners
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes while effectively using MNP internal programs and systems
- Raise awareness of MNP through discussions at community events including client and company sponsored functions
- Attend internal MNP courses to further develop tax and accounting knowledge
- Study for CPA while working; effectively manage both work and studies
Skills and Experience
- Successfully obtained, or working towards, a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or Business Administration (Accounting or Finance major preferred)
- Completion of, or working towards, all necessary prerequisites for admission into the Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) Professional Education Program (PEP) upon commencement of employment
- Previous tax or accounting related office experience is an asset
- Customer service and/or client service experience is desirable
- Experience working with, or exposure to, tax and accounting software such as Caseware, Profile, Quickbooks and Simply Accounting is beneficial
- Strong computer literacy including effective working skills of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Some travel may be required
YOUR REWARDS @ MNP
More than a paycheque, MNP is proud to offer customized rewards for our team members. With a focus on health and wealth, we provide an extensive list of benefits that support our unique culture and foster work-life integration.
Our MyRewards@MNP program offers benefits that allow you to thrive at work and outside of the office. Be rewarded with generous paid time off including 4 personal days, firm sponsored social events, a group pension plan with 4% matching contribution, voluntary savings products, bonus program eligibility, a wellness subsidy, health and dental benefits, mental health resources, exclusive access to perks and discounts, professional development assistance, learning opportunities through MNP University, a flexible dress for your day environment and more!