Co-op CPA Articling Student, Assurance and Accounting
DIFFERENT BY DESIGN
At MNP we pride ourselves on being different – it’s our entrepreneurial drive that sets us apart. It’s the same drive that’s helped us become Canada’s fastest growing national firm. We foster collaboration, value your ideas, promote based on talent and make time for FUN. We are one firm, one team, collaborating to provide you with the coaching, mentoring and feedback required to launch your career.
Be part of the momentum. We are currently seeking a Co-op CPA Articling Student for our Assurance and Accounting team for a four (4) month term beginning January 2019. Delivering quality in everything we do, MNP is a leading national accounting, tax and business consulting firm in Canada. Our Assurance and Accounting team is committed to providing meaningful and reliable financial information that ensures our clients are always well protected and positioned.
When applying, please submit your resume, cover letter, transcript and other applicable forms, as necessary, in one (1) document. Applications for this role will need to be submitted by 11:59pm on September 12, 2018.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Develop technical skills in areas such as: compilations, reviews, audits, bookkeeping and tax
- Develop and apply knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and/or Accounting Standards for Private Enterprise (ASPE)
- Obtain and review documents from third party sources for audit process
- Set-up files for new clients and newly incorporated businesses, manage multiple files simultaneously and conduct inventory counts
- Collaborate with client engagement team prior to commencement of client work to discuss roles and responsibilities, risk areas, materiality and deadlines
- Perform accounts receivable, accounts payable, capital asset acquisition and disposition and payroll walk-through with the client in a professional manner
- Summarize current financial status by collecting information and preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statements and other relevant reports
- Assess appropriateness of audit evidence for expenses, revenues, capital asset additions, accounts payable, accounts receivable and prepaid expenses
- Review, investigate and correct discrepancies and irregularities in financial entries, documents and reports
- Establish charts of accounts and prepare entries for posting to accounts
- Prepare correspondence, technical reports, client summaries and presentations outlining findings, facts and highlights resulting from the client engagement
- Develop a thorough understanding of MNP’s services, businesses and industry through experiential learning with clients
- Liaise and correspond professionally with clients, colleagues and the firm leadership team
- Learn about clients’ key financial systems and how to analyze risk
- Analyze client financial reporting for accurate and appropriate recording of revenues and expenses
- Raise identified client issues that need to be addressed with managers and engagement partners
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes while effectively using MNP internal programs and systems
- Raise awareness of MNP through discussions at community events including client and company sponsored functions
- Attend internal MNP courses to further develop accounting and assurance knowledge
- Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or Business Administration (Accounting or Finance major preferred)
- Working towards all necessary prerequisites for admission into the Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) Professional Education Program (PEP)
- Enrolled in the Co-op program at your post-secondary institution
- Previous accounting related office experience is an asset
- Customer service and/or client service experience is desirable
- Experience working with, or exposure to, accounting and tax software such as Caseware, Profile, Quickbooks and Simply Accounting is beneficial
- Strong computer literacy including effective working skills of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Some travel may be required
Core Competencies and Personal Characteristics
- Integrity – professional whose honesty, integrity, confidentiality and high ethical standards contributes to effective leadership and optimal business relationships
- Energy – displays enthusiasm, optimism, drive and passion while maintaining a high level of productivity and a balanced lifestyle
- Diversity – understands the importance of different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences and is respectful of individual differences
- Communication – effectively expresses ideas and conveys information in business writing, conversations and interactions with others
- Client Service Excellence – understands the importance of quality client service by being courteous, responding to client requests in a timely manner and monitoring satisfaction
- Teamwork & Relationship Development – works collaboratively with team members in order to achieve a common goal and develops, maintains and strengthens relationships with others, both inside and outside the Firm
- Accountability – takes responsibility for one’s own performance by setting clear goals and tracking progress against those goals; is highly organized and uses personal judgement and decision making
- Flexibility – effectively manages multiple assignments, adapts to changing priorities and is able to work independently or as part of a team
Our Firm encourages a balanced lifestyle and offers competitive pay that suits the way our team members work and play!
MNP proudly serves and responds to the needs of our clients in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. Through partner-led engagements, we provide a collaborative, cost-effective approach to doing business, with innovative strategies to help organizations succeed across the country and around the world.
Connect With Us
Not ready to apply? Create a profile and connect with us for general consideration.