Accounting Technician, Tax
DIFFERENT BY DESIGN
At MNP we pride ourselves on being different – it’s our entrepreneurial drive that sets us apart. It’s the same drive that’s helped us become Canada’s fastest growing national firm. We foster collaboration, value your ideas, promote based on talent, live balanced lifestyles and make time for FUN. We are one firm, one team, collaborating to support you wherever you want to take your career.
Join the momentum. We are seeking an Accounting Technician for our growing Tax team. Providing the highest level of excellence, MNP is a leading national accounting, tax and business consulting firm in Canada. Our Tax team works with individuals and organizations in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors, providing comprehensive strategies that minimize risk, meet tax compliance and reporting requirements, reduce costs and maximize returns.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Develop and apply knowledge of the Canadian Income Tax Act and related legislation
- Collaborate with client engagement team prior to commencement of client work to discuss roles and responsibilities, risk areas and deadlines
- Set up files for new clients and newly incorporated businesses
- Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns ensuring compliance with government standards for various types of entities; profit, not-for-profit, partnerships and trusts (may prepare T4 and T5 tax returns)
- Prepare journal entries and provide bookkeeping services as required by clients
- Review legal documents such as articles of incorporation, purchase agreements and amalgamation agreements and advise clients and engagement managers/partners appropriately
- Calculate and review share capital
- Correspond with clients and various government agencies to address client tax compliance issues
- Prepare correspondence, technical reports, client summaries and presentations outlining findings, facts and highlights resulting from the client engagement
- Raise identified client issues that need to be addressed with managers and engagement partners
- Liaise and correspond professionally with clients, colleagues and the firm leadership team
- Develop a thorough understanding of MNP’s services, businesses and industry through experiential learning with clients
- Attend internal MNP courses to further develop accounting taxation knowledge
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes while effectively using MNP internal programs and systems
- Completed post-secondary education program with an Accounting or Business focus
- Previous exposure to financial statements and tax returns is considered an asset, particularly exposure to bookkeeping
- Previous Accounting related office experience is an asset
- Customer service and/or client service experience is desirable
- Experience working with or exposure to Accounting and Tax software such as Caseware and Profile, is beneficial
- Strong computer literacy including advanced working skills of Microsoft Word, Excel and Excel templates, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Core Competencies and Personal Characteristics
- Integrity – professional whose honesty, integrity, confidentiality and high ethical standards contributes to effective leadership and optimal business relationships
- Energy – displays enthusiasm, optimism, drive and passion while maintaining a high level of productivity and a balanced lifestyle
- Diversity – understands the importance of different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences and is respectful of individual differences
- Communication – effectively expresses ideas and conveys information in business writing, conversations and interactions with others
- Client Service Excellence – understands the importance of quality client service by being courteous, responding to client requests in a timely manner and monitoring satisfaction
- Teamwork & Relationship Development – works collaboratively with team members in order to achieve a common goal and develops, maintains and strengthens relationships with others, both inside and outside the Firm
- Accountability – takes responsibility for one’s own performance by setting clear goals and tracking progress against those goals; is highly organized and uses personal judgement and decision making
- Flexibility – effectively manages multiple assignments, adapts to changing priorities and is able to work independently or as part of a team
MNP encourages a balanced lifestyle and offers benefits that suit the way our team members work and play! In addition to a competitive salary, our total rewards package includes paid personal days, wellness program initiatives, health and dental benefits, a group pension plan with matching contribution, firm sponsored social events and professional development assistance.
MNP proudly serves and responds to the needs of our clients in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. Through partner-led engagements, we provide a collaborative, cost-effective approach to doing business, with innovative strategies to help organizations succeed across the country and around the world.
Share on your newsfeed
Connect With Us
Not ready to apply? Create a profile and connect with us for general consideration.