Summer 2019 Law Student
LEAF National is hiring!
Summer 2019 Law Student
The Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund (LEAF) is a national non-profit organization with a longstanding history dedicated to advancing the equality rights of women and girls through litigation, law reform and education.
LEAF is hiring a summer law student from May, 2019 to August, 2019. This position will provide a qualified student with the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in feminist legal advocacy, receive valuable on-the-job training and learn more about advancing the equality rights of women through litigation, law reform and education.
In addition to working with LEAF’s legal program generally, the summer student will work closely with the Project Director of LEAF’s new strategic litigation project. LEAF has secured funding for a project to develop a new, contemporary five-year feminist strategic litigation plan that will enable gender equality advocates to address systemic gender discrimination more effectively. The summer student will provide support in all areas of this legal work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The summer student will be involved in all areas of LEAF's legal work: litigation, law reform, and legal education.
- The summer student will be actively involved in legal research, academic research, case monitoring, and preparing legal memos.
- If opportunity permits, the summer student may be involved in drafting court documents including facta, and may have the opportunity to attend court with LEAF’s legal team.
- The summer student will assist the Project Director with the following tasks:
- Assessing the impact of past strategic litigation;
- Identifying key issues for which strategic litigation might advance the equality rights of women and girls; and
- Assisting with reports to the funder documenting LEAF’s legal work.
- The summer student will assist with administrative legal tasks, including filing, docketing, preparing meeting minutes, and communicating LEAF’s legal work to the public.
Qualifications & Experience
- Law student enrolled in accredited law school, with completion of first or second year
- Strong legal research and writing skills; prior knowledge of constitutional law and feminist legal theory is desirable
- Strong time-management and organizational skills
- Warmth, excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated individual who works well with others
- Good written and oral language skills
- Knowledge of LEAF’s mandate and legal activities
- Demonstrated commitment to feminism and social justice
Salary: $ 18/hr
How to Apply:
LEAF encourages applications from candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities. Applications will be accepted by email only. In the subject line of your email application, reference “Summer Law Student ” and your name.
Please submit the following as a single attachment: your cover letter, your curriculum vitae and a list of three employment references (contact name, phone number and email address) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your law school transcript and a list of the courses you are currently enrolled in as part of your application.
LEAF is an equity employer and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals including women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
Applications should be submitted in Word format or PDF. Please do not submit multiple applications or send additional documents.
Applications for this position will be accepted until noon (Eastern) on March 1, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone enquiries please.