Underwriter Level II, Personal Lines (Contract/Secondment)
At Intact, insurance is not about things. It's about people. It's what we believe, and it shapes everything we do. It's why we strive to provide a second-to-none experience for our customers and create an inspiring workplace for our employees to thrive in.
As Canada's largest provider of property and casualty insurance, we're not only leading our industry, but we're redefining what it means to work for it. As a recognized top employer, we're committed to living our values and supporting our dedicated people who bring their best to work each day because they know their work matters.
Our people are at the heart of what we promise - getting people back on track and helping them prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We have over 13,000 employees who live our values every day and strive to deliver legendary service to our millions of customers across Canada and the U.S.
We have many brands that are a part of the Intact family. In Canada, Intact Insurance and Brokerlink distribute insurance through a wide network of brokers, while belairdirect delivers products direct-to-consumer. In the U.S., OneBeacon Insurance Group handles our specialty insurance line of business.
We're looking for a Personal Lines Underwriter to join our growing team!
As a Level II Underwriter within our Personal Lines department in our Dartmouth, NS office, you will be responsible for processing and underwriting moderate to complex files within binding authority limits involving automobile and property policies in order to contribute to a profitable portfolio of business. You will develop business opportunities through building and maintaining strong internal/external business partner relationships and act as a technical resource of underwriting knowledge for both colleagues and internal/external business partners.
Here are a few ways you'll make a difference:
- You will assess and evaluate moderate to complex risks. Process, underwrite and authorize the acceptance of new business, renewals, cancellations and endorsements in a timely manner to develop and retain profitable business.
- You will ensure authorized limits are in accordance with established company guidelines, applicable laws and regulations as well as apply standard rates and premiums in underwriting quotes. Review supporting claims reports and legal background.
- You will implement and exercise learned techniques including; qualifying a business opportunity, prepare for contact, contact internal/external business partners, develop proposal, promote proposal, gain commitment and close the agreement.
- You may provide technical advice, mentoring and coaching to the team members and newly hired staff. Participate in delivery of technical training to internal staff and internal/external business partners.
- You may develop and manage relationships with internal/external business partners, providing support regarding policy interpretation and underwriting policies and standards, promote products and services, solicit new business and identify opportunities for profitable growth.
- You may assist with special projects and back-up other underwriters in their absence.
- University degree/college diploma in a related field, or equivalent business experience
- Actively working toward your CIP designation
- Three years of insurance experience
- MS Office, with knowledge of Intact software considered an asset
- Sound knowledge of insurance with the ability to analyze and interpret policy wording and legal documents
- Demonstrate efficiency and priority management skills to meet service standards
- Excellent written and verbal skills in order to respond to inquiries or complaints
- Proven ability to build productive relationships
- Demonstrate strong team building skills leading to consensus within the team and promoting team engagement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences and appreciate our similarities. That's why we are committed to building an inclusive and inspiring environment for all employees. If you need a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to provide.
Before receiving a job offer, you may be asked to consent to a background check if it's a requirement for the role. This may include: verifying work references, validating education and credentials, employment verification, identity checks, reviewing credit reports, as well as criminal and driving record checks.
For internal candidates, you can apply for a posted position if you have been in your current position for at least 12 months and are performing at a satisfactory level. Please note we may have identified other internal candidates through our Employee Development Program, and that the selection process may also be opened to external applicants.
It's important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.
This posting closes on October 16th, 2019 .
Please note this is a temporary position with an expected duration of 1 year.