Specialty Solutions Underwriter Development Program
At Intact, insurance is not about things. It's about people. It's what we believe, and it shapes everything we do. It's why we strive to provide a second-to-none experience for our customers and create a safe, flexible and inspiring workplace for our employees to thrive in. And, it's why we're committed to nurturing and investing in the future talent of our industry.
New grads, this is your opportunity to put your career on the fast track.
Our Specialty Solutions Underwriter Development Program is a two-year accelerated learning experience designed to give you unparalleled expertise and grow your career in an exciting industry. In this rotational program, mentors, managers and underwriting coaches will teach you the ins and outs our specialty insurance business through a variety of learning styles.
But wait, what exactly IS specialty solutions? And what does an underwriter do?
Specialty Solutions is a major division of our commercial lines business that provides insurance solutions to unique industries with complex needs such as tech companies, movie production, agriculture and construction, and coverage to help protect business leaders from personal liability on the job. With OneBeacon Insurance Group - our brand and major player in the U.S. market - we are now a leading provider of specialty insurance in North America and continue to grow. Our Underwriters understand our products inside and out. As a member of the team, you'd become a champion of risk assessment and work directly with Intact's network of Brokers - the people who sell our products to businesses - to make sure they understand the products, know how to market them, and help them to evaluate the potential risks of taking on certain portfolios.
Through this program, you will:
- Build relationships with our Broker partners - the core of our business - and learn the value of living our values every day
- Learn the technical aspects of insurance: assessing and evaluating risk to make empowered decisions; and how to quote, negotiate and authorize new business
- Train and learn in inspiring ways - classroom, on-the-job and self-study - in a collaborative work environment
- Be involved in stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and expertise
- Build your professional networks - both at Intact and industry events
- Earn a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package from day one
- Have flexibility in where and how you work
- Work in an award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work (Canada's Top 100 Employers, Aon Platinum Best Employers, LinkedIn Top Company, Glassdoor Best Place to Work & Top CEO, Indeed Top-Rated Workplaces)
You may be a good fit for this opportunity if:
- You care about people and are a natural at building and nurturing relationships (a key part of this role!)
- You have a creative approach to problem-solving and are a natural at taking calculated risks
- You have exemplary analytical skills and can make informed decisions or negotiations
- You are a skilled communicator who can adapt your approach to your audience
- You can influence decisions and negotiate strategically
- You are an enthusiastic learner who thrives within a team or independently
- Recent graduate from a Bachelor degree in administration (specialization in finance, an asset) with a strong GPA
- To be considered, you'll share your current transcripts with us
- Available to join our training program in June 2020
The next steps: We're accepting applications now through October 11th, 2019 until 23:59. All submissions will be reviewed during this time, as well as after the posting closes. If you meet the requirements of the role, you can expect:
- A Video Interview - You'll receive an email with full details and a link to complete it.
- A Plum Assessment - This will create a talent profile for you so the hiring manager can assess your key strengths alongside the needs of the role.
- An Interview Phase - If selected to move forward, you'll get to meet the hiring team and current class members, discuss the role, and - most importantly - tell us about you!
About us: As Canada's largest provider of property and casualty insurance, we're not only leading our industry, but we're redefining what it means to work for it. As a recognized top employer, we're committed to living our values and supporting our dedicated people who bring their best to work each day because they know their work matters. Our people are at the heart of what we promise - getting people back on track and helping them prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We have over 13,000 employees who live our values every day and strive to deliver legendary service to our millions of customers across Canada and the U.S. We have many brands that are a part of the Intact family. In Canada, Intact Insurance and Brokerlink distribute insurance through a wide network of brokers, while belairdirect delivers products direct-to-consumer. In the U.S., OneBeacon Insurance Group handles our specialty insurance line of business.
A career in Insurance has never been this exciting.
Evolving consumer expectations and technology have helped to shape a new vision for our industry - and we are leading the way. Our Technology teams are reshaping the way we do business and setting new industry benchmarks. Our Claims representatives are helping customers to get back on track after they experience a loss. Our product teams are developing products that protect people and businesses so they can focus on what matters to them most. Our success story is written by our passion for living our values and creating a better tomorrow. We're re-writing the future of insurance - are you ready to be a part of the story?
Excellent benefits are offered: competitive salary, flexible benefits, flexible work arrangements, flexible leave, pension plan defined benefit, etc.
This posting closes on October 11th, 2019.
It's important that you are eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.
Prior to receiving a job offer, you may be asked to consent to background checks if it's a requirement for the role. These checks could include: work references, education and credential confirmation, employment verification, identity check, credit report, criminal offence and driver's license record.