New Grad Underwriter Development Program, Commercial Lines (Edmonton)
At Intact, insurance is not about things. It's about people. It's what we believe, and it shapes everything we do. It's why we strive to provide a second-to-none experience for our customers and create a safe, flexible and inspiring workplace for our employees to thrive in. And, it's why we're committed to nurturing and investing in the future talent of our industry.
New grads, this is your opportunity to put your career on the fast track.
Our Commercial Lines Underwriter Development Program is a two-year accelerated learning experience designed to give you unparalleled expertise and grow your career in an exciting industry. In this program, you'll rotate through different teams while mentors, managers and underwriting coaches teach you the ins and outs of our commercial insurance business through a variety of learning styles. After the two action-packed years, you will emerge a full-fledged Intermediate Underwriter, ready to take on the world of commercial insurance.
But, what exactly IS commercial lines insurance? And what does an Underwriter do?
Commercial Insurance is a major part of our operations that provides insurance solutions to businesses small and large in our communities so they can prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We provide these insurance products - such as property and casualty - through our network of Brokers across the country. Our Underwriters understand our products inside and out. As a member of the team, you'd become a champion of risk assessment and work directly with Intact's network of Brokers - the people who sell our products to consumers - to make sure they understand the products, know how to market them, and help them to evaluate the potential risks of taking on certain portfolios. Through this program, you will:
- Build relationships with insurance brokers- the core of our business - and learn the value of living our values every day
- Learn the technical aspects of insurance: assessing and evaluating risk to make empowered decisions; and how to quote, negotiate and authorize
- Train and learn in inspiring ways - classroom, on-the-job and self-study - in a collaborative work environment
- Be involved in stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and expertise
- Build your professional networks - both at Intact and industry events
- Earn a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package from day one
- Receive financial support towards the pursuit of your professional designation
- Work in an award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work (Canada's Top 100 Employers, Aon Platinum Best Employers, LinkedIn Top Company, Glassdoor Best Place to Work & Top CEO, Indeed Top-Rated Workplaces)
You may be a good fit for this opportunity if:
- You care about people and are a natural at building and nurturing relationships (a key part of this role!)
- You have a creative approach to problem-solving and are a natural at taking calculated risks
- You have exemplary analytical skills and can make informed decisions or negotiations
- You are a skilled communicator who can adapt your approach to your audience
- You can influence decisions and negotiate strategically
- You are an enthusiastic learner who thrives within a team or independently
- Recent graduate (graduation year 2017 or later) with a strong GPA - to be considered, you'll share your current transcripts with us
- Available to join the program June 15, 2020
- Passion for making a difference
The next steps: We're accepting applications now through October 11, 2019 at 11:59pm EST . All submissions will be reviewed during this time, as well as after the posting closes. If you meet the requirements of the role, you can expect:
- A Video Interview - You'll receive an email with full details and a link to complete it.
- A Plum Assessment - If selected to move forward, you'll be invited to create a talent profile so the hiring manager can assess your key strengths alongside the needs of the role.
- An Interview Phase - If selected to move forward, you'll get to meet the hiring team and current class members, discuss the role, and - most importantly - tell us about you!
This posting is specifically for our Calgary office. If you're interested in being considered for Edmonton, Vancouver, and/or Winnipeg, please apply directly to those postings, which you'll find on our career site .
About us: As Canada's largest provider of property and casualty insurance, we're not only leading our industry, but we're redefining what it means to work for it. As a recognized top employer, we're committed to living our values and supporting our dedicated people who bring their best to work each day because they know their work matters. Our people are at the heart of what we promise - getting people back on track and helping them prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We have over 13,000 employees who live our values every day and strive to deliver legendary service to our millions of customers across Canada and the U.S. We have many brands that are a part of the Intact family. In Canada, Intact Insurance and Brokerlink distribute insurance through a wide network of brokers, while belairdirect delivers products direct-to-consumer. In the U.S., OneBeacon Insurance Group handles our specialty insurance line of business.
The fine print.
Background Checks Prior to receiving a job offer, you may be asked to consent to background checks if it's a requirement for the role. These checks could include: work references, education and credential confirmation, employment verification, identity check, credit report, criminal offence and driver's license record.
Eligibility to work in Canada It's important that you are eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer At Intact, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences and appreciate our similarities. That's why we are committed to building an inclusive and inspiring environment for all employees.
If you are in need of a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to provide.
This posting will remain open until October 11, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST.