New Grad Underwriter Development Program, Commercial Lines (Dartmouth)
At Intact, insurance is not about things. It's about people. It's what we believe, and it shapes everything we do. It's why we strive to provide a second-to-none experience for our customers and create a safe, flexible and inspiring workplace for our employees to thrive in. And, it's why we're committed to nurturing and investing in the future talent of our industry.
New grads, this is your opportunity to put your career on the fast track.
Recognized as one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People for three consecutive years, we provide great talent with the tools and resources they need to kick off their career journey.
Our Commercial Lines Underwriter Development Program is a two-year accelerated learning experience designed to give you unparalleled expertise and grow your career in an exciting industry. In this program, you'll rotate through different teams while mentors, managers and underwriting coaches teach you the ins and outs our commercial insurance business through a variety of learning styles. At the end of a successful two years, you'll emerge a fully-fledged intermediate underwriter.
But, what exactly IS commercial lines insurance? And what does an Underwriter do?
Commercial Lines is a major part of our operations that provides insurance solutions to businesses small and large in our communities so they can prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We provide these insurance products - like property, casualty and automobile coverage - through our network of Brokers across the country. Our Underwriters understand our products inside and out. As a member of the team, you'd become a champion of risk assessment and work directly with Intact's network of Brokers - the people who sell our products to businesses - to make sure they understand the products, know how to market them, and help them to evaluate the potential risks of taking on certain portfolios.
Through this program, you will:
- Build relationships with our Broker partners - the core of our business - and learn the value of living our values every day
- Learn the technical aspects of insurance: assessing and evaluating risk to make empowered decisions; and how to quote, negotiate and authorize new business
- Train and learn in inspiring ways - classroom, on-the-job and self-study - in a collaborative work environment
- Be involved in stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and expertise
- Build your professional networks - both at Intact and industry events
What's in it for you:
- Career and growth opportunities
- Work in a collaborative environment
- Competitive Salary and comprehensive benefit package
- Work in an award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work (Canada's Top 100 Employers, Aon Platinum Best Employers, LinkedIn Top Company, Glassdoor Best Place to Work & Top CEO, Indeed Top-Rated Workplaces)
You may be a good fit for this opportunity if:
- You care about people and are a natural at building and nurturing relationships (a key part of this role!)
- You have a creative approach to problem-solving and are a natural at taking calculated risks
- You have exemplary analytical skills and can make informed decisions or negotiations
- You are a skilled communicator who can adapt your approach to your audience
- You can influence decisions and negotiate strategically
- You are an enthusiastic learner who thrives within a team or independently
- Recent graduate (graduation year 2017 or later) with a strong GPA - to be considered, you'll share your current transcripts with us
- Available to join our Development program in June 2020
Location: This position is available in our Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Office.
The next steps:
We're accepting applications now through October 25, 2019 at 11:59pm. All submissions will be reviewed during this time, as well as after the posting closes.
If you meet the requirements of the role, you can expect:
- An Assessment - This will create a talent profile for you so the hiring manager can assess your key strengths alongside the needs of the role.
- A Video Interview - You'll receive an email with full details and a link to complete it.
- An Interview Phase - If selected to move forward, you'll get to meet the hiring team and current class members, discuss the role, and - most importantly - tell us about you!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences and appreciate our similarities. That's why we are committed to building an inclusive and inspiring environment for all employees. If you need a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to provide.
Before receiving a job offer, you may be asked to consent to a background check if it's a requirement for the role. This may include: verifying work references, validating education and credentials, employment verification, identity checks, reviewing credit reports, as well as criminal and driving record checks.
It's important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.
This posting closes on October 25, 2019.