New Grad Underwriter Development Program, Commercial Lines
At Intact, insurance is not about things. It's about people. It's what we believe, and it shapes everything we do. It's why we strive to provide a second-to-none experience for our customers and create a safe, flexible and inspiring workplace for our employees to thrive in. And, it's why we're committed to nurturing and investing in the future talent of our industry.
New grads, this is your opportunity to put your career on the fast track.
Recognized as one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People for three consecutive years, we provide great talent with the tools and resources they need to kick off their career journey.
Our Commercial Lines Underwriter Development Program is a two-year accelerated learning experience designed to give you unparalleled expertise and grow your career in an exciting industry. In this program, you'll rotate through different teams while mentors, managers and underwriting coaches teach you the ins and outs our commercial insurance business through a variety of learning styles. At the end of a successful two years, you'll emerge a fully-fledged intermediate underwriter.
But, what exactly IS commercial lines insurance? And what does an Underwriter do?
Commercial Lines is a major part of our operations that provides insurance solutions to businesses small and large in our communities so they can prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We provide these insurance products - like property, casualty and automobile coverage - through our network of Brokers across the country. Our Underwriters understand our products inside and out. As a member of the team, you'd become a champion of risk assessment and work directly with Intact's network of Brokers - the people who sell our products to businesses - to make sure they understand the products, know how to market them, and help them to evaluate the potential risks of taking on certain portfolios.
Through this program, you will:
- Build relationships with our Broker partners - the core of our business - and learn the value of living our values every day
- Learn the technical aspects of insurance: assessing and evaluating risk to make empowered decisions; and how to quote, negotiate and authorize new business
- Train and learn in inspiring ways - classroom, on-the-job and self-study - in a collaborative work environment
- Be involved in stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and expertise
- Build your professional networks - both at Intact and industry events
What's in it for you:
- Career and growth opportunities
- Work in a collaborative environment
- Competitive Salary and comprehensive benefit package
- Work in an award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work (Canada's Top 100 Employers, Aon Platinum Best Employers, LinkedIn Top Company, Glassdoor Best Place to Work & Top CEO, Indeed Top-Rated Workplaces)
You may be a good fit for this opportunity if:
- You care about people and are a natural at building and nurturing relationships (a key part of this role!)
- You have a creative approach to problem-solving and are a natural at taking calculated risks
- You have exemplary analytical skills and can make informed decisions or negotiations
- You are a skilled communicator who can adapt your approach to your audience
- You can influence decisions and negotiate strategically
- You are an enthusiastic learner who thrives within a team or independently
- Recent graduate (graduation year 2017 or later) with a strong GPA - to be considered, you'll share your current transcripts with us
- Available to join our Development program in June 2020
Location: This position is available at 6 of our offices across Ontario; Downtown Toronto, Mississauga, Durham (Ajax), London, Ottawa and Sudbury.
The next steps:
We're accepting applications now through October 25, 2019 at 11:59pm. All submissions will be reviewed during this time, as well as after the posting closes.
If you meet the requirements of the role, you can expect:
- A Video Interview - You'll receive an email with full details and a link to complete it.
- An Assessment - This will create a talent profile for you so the hiring manager can assess your key strengths alongside the needs of the role.
- An Interview Phase - If selected to move forward, you'll get to meet the hiring team and current class members, discuss the role, and - most importantly - tell us about you!
As Canada's largest provider of property and casualty insurance, we're not only leading our industry, but we're redefining what it means to work for it. As a recognized top employer, we're committed to living our values and supporting our dedicated people who bring their best to work each day because they know their work matters.
Our people are at the heart of what we promise - getting people back on track and helping them prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We have over 13,000 employees who live our values every day and strive to deliver legendary service to our millions of customers across Canada and the U.S.
We have many brands that are a part of the Intact family. In Canada, Intact Insurance and Brokerlink distribute insurance through a wide network of brokers, while belairdirect delivers products direct-to-consumer. In the U.S., OneBeacon Insurance Group handles our specialty insurance line of business.
The fine print.
Background Checks Prior to receiving a job offer, you may be asked to consent to background checks if it's a requirement for the role. These checks could include: work references, education and credential confirmation, employment verification, identity check, credit report, criminal offence and driver's license record.
Eligibility to work in Canada It's important that you are eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. For permanent roles, proof of eligibility can be a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, permanent residence card or confirmation.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer At Intact, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences and appreciate our similarities. That's why we are committed to building an inclusive and inspiring environment for all employees.
If you are in need of a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to provide.