Data Science - 4 Month Co-op/Internship (Summer 2020)
At Intact, insurance is not about things. It's about people. It's what we believe, and it shapes everything we do. It's why we strive to transform the insurance experience for our customers and offer an inspiring workplace where our people have the freedom to explore, create, and innovate. And, it's why we're committed to nurturing and investing in the future tech talent of our industry.
It's more than a great career. It's a bright future.
We're hiring a team of Future Talent tech superstars - people like you! - to join our Intact Lab - Data Science team. In this role, you'll get hands-on technical and industry experience from top experts in the field while participating and contributing to the team's work and vision.
Why join us? In a world where data is changing the way we live, the Intact Lab - Data Science team leverages a variety of sources of information coming from all touchpoints with our customers. We also use state of the art technologies to explore new possibilities and help us become one of the smartest players in the game. From analyzing our customers driving behaviours to state of the art technology for determining accurate prices on intangible products, the opportunities stemming from being the largest P&C insurer in Canada are endless.
As a Data Science Co-op/Intern, you will take on challenging projects that provide tremendous opportunities to learn and grow, surrounded by a multi-disciplinary team that constantly pushes to develop and implement innovative products.
When you step into this role, you will:
- Stay current on new approaches or opportunities, and bring them to the solutions you design
- Transform complex data sets into meaningful conclusions and recommendation
- Develop novel and innovative solutions for pattern recognition using machine learning and statistical approaches
You will also have the chance to:
- Experience first-hand what it's like to work as a Data Scientist and discover more about how advances in technology are shaping the way the insurance business works
- Explore new ideas and learn about best practices in a fun, inclusive environment
- Put your creative mind to work while you help the team solve problems and contribute to challenging, meaningful projects
- Attend social events with the team, so you can meet new people and celebrate successes
These are the requirements to apply:
- Must be available to work full time from May to August
- Must be returning to full time studies following this internship in Fall 2020
- Bachelor, Master or PhD in progress related to artificial intelligence, computer science or data science
- Open-source frameworks: Python, R, Spark, Hadoop
- Work environment: GitHub, Git, Agile, Scrum
- Understanding of the underlying Machine Learning theory an asset
- Understanding in any specific field: Computer vision, Natural Language Processing or Artificial Intelligence an asset
- Practical experience with machine learning or deep learning framework an asset
- Ability to concentrate on loosely defined problems which require application of creative approaches
- Strong communication, time-management, organization, and prioritization skills
- Understanding of data science approaches in consumer research domains an asset
- Cooperative team player
Your career starts here. Apply today!
We can't wait to learn more about you. When you complete your application, remember to include your resume and University/College transcript. We hire co-ops every semester (Winter, Summer and Fall)!
As Canada's largest provider of property and casualty insurance, we're not only leading our industry, but we're redefining what it means to work for it. As a recognized top employer, we're committed to living our values and supporting our dedicated people who bring their best to work each day because they know their work matters.
Our people are at the heart of what we promise - getting people back on track and helping them prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We have over 13,000 employees who live our values every day and strive to deliver legendary service to our millions of customers across Canada and the U.S.
We have many brands that are a part of the Intact family. In Canada, Intact Insurance and Brokerlink distribute insurance through a wide network of brokers, while belairdirect delivers products direct-to-consumer. In the U.S., OneBeacon Insurance Group provides specialty insurance to industries who have unique insurance needs (think entertainment, tech, marine & agriculture).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences and appreciate our similarities. That's why we are committed to building an inclusive and inspiring environment for all employees. If you need a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to provide.
As an employer and publicly traded financial services company, the best interests of our customers, employees and shareholders are important to us. We want Intact to be a great place to work! This means that you'll be asked to consent to background checks so we can learn more about you. Please note that for positions with access to financial data or funds, your credit must be in good standing.
It's important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.
This posting closes on February 9, 2020 at 11:59pm.