User Experience Designer
We are looking for an experienced designer who thrives in a collaborative environment to join us in creating great end-to-end customer experiences. The team you'll be joining is tasked with building Watson Customer Engagement offerings - software that is fundamentally changing the way businesses interact with their customers and provide products & services to them. The role will involve working closely with a small but dynamic design team (with guidance by the overall solutions designer) to deliver frequent product release cycles and tightly align with the product owners and development teams using agile methodologies. Tasks will consist of designing business process scenarios and flows for user interfaces and demos, researching and validating customer requirements, translating actionable insights from the design research team into mockups & wireframes (low and high fidelity) for user scenario flows, etc. Along with this work on next generation Enterprise solutions, shorter term projects will arise that will further flex the creative muscles (proof of concepts, demos, etc.). This role demands experience with current tools and methods, but also a requirement to investigate and learn new approaches to solving problems, an appreciation of UX best practices and an investment into IBM Design Thinking. The candidate must be a self-starter, creative in their thinking about design issues, have strong communication and documentation skills and be able to work with a wide variety of people (designers, information developers, developers, product owners, etc.) - both face-to-face and via conference calls with our worldwide teams.
Why join WCE Design?
The Watson Customer Engagement Design team is responsible for creating intuitive and compelling user experiences with our software. We want to delight our customers with perfect moments that create unbreakable bonds. We need to know what our customers want before they do. The IBM Design organization has undergone a dramatic re-investment over the past 5 years, with the hiring of almost 1600 designers. We've also introduced industry best practices around design thinking and agile, created our own practices for design research, and created our own corporate design language. IBM Design has created a network of 45+ IBM Studios located all around the world, and the IBM Studios Toronto team is the 3rd largest in the network. Join the Design team's mission to build revolutionary business and consumer products that change the way people think and work.
The ideal candidate should:
- Understand modern design thinking and design trends (including responsiveness and accessibility)
- Understand different industries to better gauge how design issues and users can differ across them
- Have an appreciation for detail - every pixel and interaction is important!
- Have An understanding of interface & user experience design best practices for web and mobility devices
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, team based environment
- Portfolio of previous work must be presented incorporating UI designs and/or sketches that demonstrate an understanding of interaction design and visual design
Who are the primary teams this person will work with?
Design, Offering Management and Development. There will be co-location with designers within the IBM Studios Toronto location (Warden) - from the same business unit as well as other areas. We are also co-located with both front & back-end developers and many offering managers of a wide swath of IBM software products.
What personality traits would make a person successful in this role?
You need to have an ability to foster relationships with customers & internal teams and be able to empathize with our users. You must be flexible and enjoy working & collaborating with cross-functional teams and locations. You should embrace diversity.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience (1-3 years) with creating user scenarios for usability testing, analysis of industry trends, task analysis, workflow design, layout & composition
- Experience with creating mockups, design patterns and navigation/interaction design
- Experience with visual design tools and knowledge of application of styles across user interfaces
- Experience with researching and reporting conclusions in well-developed documents
- Demonstratable knowledge of wireframing and design tools such as the Adobe Creative Suite, Axure, InVision, Sketch, etc.
- Knowledge of design methodologies and information architecture
- Presentation skills and an ability to articulate ideas in a persuasive manner (ie. storytelling)
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Knowledge or experience in supply chain or blockchain is an asset.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.