Systems Performance Analyst - Internship (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 12 or 16 (internship) month work term commencing May 2018. It ismandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
Work directly on products and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
We’re looking for energetic, inquisitive and innovative individuals to join the Power Performance team located in the IBM Toronto Development Lab.
Some people just do software, some just hardware, but you’ll have the opportunity to learn both. Join an expert IBM team in the performance optimization of some of the world’s most innovative products. You will work directly with leading software developers, hardware architects and performance analysts, doing Java, Scala, Python, C and C++ performance analysis on the most recent software and hardware technologies. We work on technologies central to the cognitive era such as machine- and deep-learning frameworks and big data platforms like Spark, Hive and Hadoop. We collaborate closely with ISVs like Hortonworks s well as with experts in key IBM SW technologies such as DB2, Websphere and Watson. We strive to optimize workloads that use these technologies for the Power ecosystem, including by using accelerators such as GPUs and FPGAs.
Main Responsibilities include:
- Apply a wide variety of system- and application-level tools to analyze the performance of complex software workloads
- Install, configure and run cognitive workloads on big data infrastructure such as Spark or Hadoop
- Apply knowledge of processor and system architecture to identify performance improvement opportunities in software
- Create and maintain scripts to automate workload runs and data collection
- Transform highly technical material into articles and presentations that may be used by customers or industry analysts to understand the advantages of IBM’s products
- Use quantitative techniques to analyze large data sets
- Setup, configure and maintain large Linux-based clusters.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Demonstrated experience with Java or C/C++
- Experience with Linux
- Basic understanding of modern microprocessor architectures
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl, Python or Bash
- Ability to learn quickly, demonstrated multitasking ability
- Proven verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Experience improving the performance of software
- Exposure to unsupervised machine learning techniques such as K-Nearest Neighbors, Logistic Regression etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of supervised (deep) learning techniques
- Familiarity with big data technologies such as Spark or Hadoop
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.