Staff Software Developer
The IBM Watson Health Imaging business unit is looking for talented individuals destined to usher in the next era of IT-transformed healthcare. We live in a moment of remarkable change and opportunity. The convergence of data and technology is transforming healthcare and life sciences organizations in every way. In the role of Staff Software Developer, you will develop advanced web based medical imaging applications that will leverage the latest image processing and cognitive computing methods. The work will be part of a multi-disciplinary team including developers, researchers, clinical specialists and user interface designers that will be defining the medical viewer of the future. Development will be based on IBM Watson Health’s proven enterprise medical imaging stack and IBM Watson’s latest cognitive computing engine.
Working under moderate supervision, the candidate will be directed by the architect and/or manager and will liaison with IBM Watson Health technical and clinical staff as well as customer technical and clinical staff to understand new requirements, design constraints and troubleshoot existing product issues. The candidate is expected to develop and document requirement specifications and designs for modules, code and implement those designs, and perform developer verification and validation of those implementations according to the IBM Watson Health quality management system.
- Comply with the project’s software delivery processes and the quality system definitions.
- Implement secure, robust, scalable, testable, and serviceable solutions based upon system and software functional designs.
- Identify security, performance, and general misbehavior of implementations.
- Participate in the diagnosis and troubleshooting of problem areas.
- Participate in the creation/modification of module specifications, designs, test descriptions, work breakdowns and estimates.
- Participate in the review of product engineering artifacts (e.g. specifications, designs, test descriptions, implementations, tests, records, reports, etc.).
- Interface with customer and IBM Watson Health staff to gather product requirements and design, present technical aspects of the product, and understand problems with the product.
- Liaison with developers and researchers inside the organization to evaluate and compare available technologies and make recommendations about which ones to use.
- Act as onshore liaison to offshore development team (where applicable).
- Work effectively in collaboration with other employees inside and outside of the department.
- Pursue a program of continuous self-development. Respond in a positive manner to mentoring.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- An undergraduate degree or better in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Science or equivalent discipline or equivalent level of industry related experience
- Working knowledge in Objected Oriented Programming
- Working knowledge in .NET (C#)
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
The following qualifications are desirable and would be considered an asset:
- 5+ years of related experience in web development
- Experience with Typescript and Angular 2+
- Experience with DICOM, HL7 v2 and imaging
- Experience working in a regulated environment, especially healthcare
- Familiarity with web security concepts (e.g. OWASP).
- Familiarity with MVC, ASP.NET, IIS.
- Familiarity with SQL databases.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.