Software Engineer - Coop (Ottawa, ON)
Change the world at IBM.
There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 4 or 8 (co-op) month work term commencing January 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
- Working across a variety of disciplines to investigate, prototype, develop, test and deliver software supporting an enterprise class SaaS offering in the Financial and Performance Management market.
- Working with Development and Quality Assurance teams to build automation test suites using Mocha, Chai and
- Build software for the cloud, within the cloud, using various Platform-as a-service (PaaS), Software-as a-service (SaaS),
- Infrastructure-as a-service (IaaS) technologies and related tools.
- They will be involved in all phases of Software Development Life Cycle including requirements definition, design, development, and testing.
- Will interact, and communicate with, Global team members, as well as, other groups in IBM, and will work in a true agile Squad based software development environment.
- Candidates should be highly motivated, enthusiastic, and be able to work under minimal guidance with demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills. Your collaboration and communication skills will be fundamental to the overall team success of the projects you work on.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Swagger, XML, GIT version control
- Exhibited programming skills using one of Python, Scala or Java
- Preferred work experience with Nodejs, Express, D3
- Knowledge or work experience with distributed computing and storage
- Demonstrated working knowledge of databases and SQL programming skills
- Exhibited strong verbal and written communications skills
- Can work well in a team and independently
- Demonstrated understanding of Software Engineering
- Knowledge of deploying services into an Enterprise Cloud Environment would be an asset
- Experience in developing and testing UI's, using different UI frameworks, such as React would be beneficial
- Working experience with industry test automation - an asset, would be in areas of Selenium, Mocha, and Chai
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Proven experience with developing and testing Enterprise sized Web based applications
- Knowledge of Web Development Framework toolkits such as React, Redux, or Angular
- Knowledge or work experience with data warehousing, analytics and related databases such as dashDB
- Knowledge of Cloud infrastructure technologies (PaaS) such as IBM Bluemix
- Knowledge of IBM Cognos products such as IBM Cognos Analytics and IBM Planning Analytics
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.