The IBM Linux on Z (LoZ) ecosystem team is looking to hire a software developer to join the open-source enablement team.
The team's objective is to grow the open-source ecosystem to enable LinuxONE and IBM Z. Key focus areas include modern programming languages (Google GO, Apple Swift, ...) databases (MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, ...) and cloud infrastructure (Docker, Kubernetes, RedHat OpenShift, ...) As a member of the open-source enablement team, the candidate will need to work with multiple open source communities and apply their technical skills to port existing source code on LoZ, test, up stream any source updates as well as explore potential performance exploits on the platform.
Given the wide range of open source applications the team works on, the candidate should possess demonstrated capabilities in multiple disciplines. These disciplines include applied knowledge of multiple computer programming languages, Linux and open-source software development environment and tools, as well as the ability to low level debug applications under development. Applied knowledge of modern databases, cloud technology and up and coming programming languages (both compilers and run-times) is an asset.
The job is located at the IBM Canada Software Lab in Markham Ontario, one of the largest Research and Development (R&D) facilities in Canada.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience developing in 3G programming languages (C/C++/JAVA)
- Experience with databases (developing, optimizing, scaling)
- Working knowledge of Linux
- Working knowledge of computer architecture (x86, System Z or POWER instruction set)
- Proven problem solving skills - ability to use a low level debugger
- Experience in Open Source community development processes and tools
- Demonstrated effective communication skills
- Aptitude to learn and apply knowledge quickly
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Experience developing in Google GO lang
- Development background in compilers (either open-source like GCC, LLVM, SWIFT, .. or closed-source)
- Performance tuning open source applications
- Systems Z software and hardware background/experience including developing and debugging ASM on this platform
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.