Software Developer: Automation Devel./Testing - Coop (Ottawa, ON)
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that literally make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 4 or 8 (co-op) month work term commencing September 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Main Responsibilities include:
- Writing and updating test cases for specific areas, based on functional specifications, using the test case management tool. This includes both manual and automated test cases.
- Reporting and verifying defects using the defect tracking tool
- Participate in reviews of design and test documents
- Set up, configure, and maintain test lab configurations to support various test scenarios and environments
- Write clean, maintainable and testable code
- Trouble shoot and diagnose software problems and provide solutions
- Report status on a regular basis and ensure a high level of quality for all deliverables
This position is in the Development and QA of IBM’s Security Intelligence line of products including QRadar and Forensics. These products deliver an intelligent, integrated and automated security solution that provides complete, 360-degree security intelligence across your entire network, no matter how large or small. To achieve this, this position will perform the assessment, planning and execution of test efforts required for new functions/features and regression testing of existing product functionality. They will also consult with quality and development specialists in resolution of complex problems; develop new approaches, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing methodologies and processes.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by Export Regulations sanctions. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following US sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.ã€€
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Experience with Linux operating systems
- Experience with one or more of the following: Java/Java script, SQL, XML, JSON, Groovy, Geb
- Demonstrated verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to manage workload to meet specific deadlines
- Must work effectively as part of a team and be able to exercise independent judgment within defined guidelines and procedures
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Experience using Agile Methodologies
- Knowledge of quality assurance processes
- Experience with automated testing and Selenium
- Experience with Groovy
- Interest in the Security Industry
About Business Unit
IBM is a leading provider of enterprise security solutions. Named by industry analysts as a leader in 12 security market segment categories, IBM Security is a multi-billion dollar business that is rapidly growing. In an industry focused on building walls, IBM Security is focused on creating an open, connected security ecosystem that leverages AI and cloud to help clients improve compliance, stop threats, and grow their business securely. Join our global team of IBM Security employees in protecting the world, and helping our clients thrive in the face of cyber uncertainty.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification