Software Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May 2018. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
IBM WebSphere Application Server Software Development, Tools & Level 3 Support
- Using design documentation, such as Functional Programming Specifications and high-level design documents to implement the identified features / components.
- Ensuring that the implemented components are unit tested and ready to be integrated into the product.
- Developing fixes to defects identified by the verification team during the software development life cycle.
- Developing new features in log analytics and application metrics
- Tools Support responsibility includes the development & support of internal tools to facilitate the build / integration of product releases and fixes.
- Level 3 Support responsibility includes determination & resolution of customer reported problem with specific WAS and Liberty product components.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Proven experience with Java programming language and Java EE technologies
- Proven experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems
- Experience with Eclipse IDE
- Experience with Git and Maven
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Understanding of software engineering
- Demonstrated team player with proven verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of IBM products (especially Websphere Application Server)
- Knowledge of using log analytics software such as Elastic stack
- Knowledge of using metrics software such as Prometheus
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
- Experience with open source development
- Demonstrated quick learner with attention to detail
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.