Software Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, ON and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May 2018. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
- Backend or Server Systems Programming – Design and code servers, applications and databases that are reusable, scalable and meet critical architecture goals. Create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that are clean, well-documented, and easy to use. In some teams, may involve working with the Linux kernel, scheduler, memory management system, device drivers, and hardware architectures.
- Cloud-Based Development – Architect and develop new cognitive services, using a cloud-first methodology. Create and configure Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) applications. Design and implement large scale systems and Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) that enable continuous delivery.
- Automation and Testing – Enable continuous deployment and availability by designing, developing, creating, and executing test cases based on functional and non-functional requirements. Build and manage testing environments, assisting in debugging application issues.
- Client-Facing Solution Development - Solve complex business issues for the world's leading clients. Work directly with the customer to understand detailed requirements, then design and implement innovative solutions across multiple industries and sectors, as well as governments and agencies.
- Client-Facing Technical Support – Help customers one-on-one by assessing complex problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and capturing detailed and accurate information about issues, troubleshooting steps and resolution. Own the customer support experience and resolve customer satisfaction issues by designing and implementing creative solutions to technical problems.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience with Linux, Unix and data storage solutions
- Experience with Java, Java Script
- Demonstrated ability to work with a group of peers
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- Knowledge of IBM products
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Experience with various programming languages
- Understanding of software engineering
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.