Software Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 (internship)month work term commencing May, 2018. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online atwww.ibm.com/jobs .
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
IBM Spectrum Computing is a leader in cluster, grid, and HPC cloud management software serving more than 2,000 of the world’s most demanding organizations. IBM Spectrum Computing uses intelligent workload and policy-driven resource management to optimize resources across the data center, on premises and in the cloud. Now up to 150X faster and scalable to over 160,000 cores, IBM provides customers with the latest advances in software-defined infrastructure to help customer unleash the power of distributed mission-critical high performance computing (HPC), analytics and big data applications as well as a new generation open source frameworks such as Hadoop and Spark.
We are currently looking for an individual to fill the role of a Software Development Intern in the IBM Spectrum Deep Learning Impact team in Markham, ON.
The Software Developer will be part of a global development team to enhance existing IBM Spectrum Computing technology that will be embedded into IBM products and solutions.
- Works with the development team to create and drive detailed design specifications, coding, unit test, performance refinement and defect activity
- Interacts with product managers, architects, and team leads from other departments to understand requirements, propose functionality, and translate this into development projects
- Works with customers, customer proxies (i.e. sales, services, support) and internal exploiters to help drive product deployment.
- Prepares and presents technology architecture/design and demos to relevant stakeholders
- Prepares and writes technical documentation, such as content to be included in the product documentation and customer training
- Participates in Quality Assurance/Test activities on development projects as needed, including Test Automation and other DevOps activities.
Read more about IBM Spectrum Computing here:www.ibm.com/systems/spectrum-computing/
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Currently enrolled in a Computer Science or related Engineering program
- Working knowledge of Java, C/C++, Scala or Python
- Proven experience with Linux/UNIX operating systems
- Understanding of the principles of Object Oriented software design and programming
- Experience in working on rapid prototyping projects and developing products/solutions with direct client involvement
- Technical knowledge in software development methodologies and processes, design, and implementation with a focus on Agile scrum practices.
- Demonstrated communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Can describe the principles of neural network models, the deep learning lifecycle and deep learning frameworks like Tensorflow, Caffe etc.
- Knowledge of Apache Spark technology is an asset.
- Network programming experience, e.g. service/process communication, multi-threading, concurrency is a bonus
- Knowledge of UI programming technologies such as Angular, React, HTML5, CSS and ES6 is an asset.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.