Software Developer - Compilers - Coop (Markham, ON)
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that literally make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
*This position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 4 (co-op) month work term commencing September 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The IBM Compiler Group is looking for a co-op developer to join our world class Compiler Team. Our compilers are at the cutting edge of compilation technology, and our developers have helped deliver language standard conformance and industry leading benchmark results. We produce compilers for a range of source languages optimized for IBM POWER systems and zSeries mainframes. Our developers often contribute to the design of future IBM processors, the evolution of programming languages and many have acquired extensive patent portfolios.
If you have C++ coding experience, a demonstrated understanding of algorithms and data structures, programming language design and a passion for developing innovative algorithms that make software run as fast as possible, this is the team for you. This position offers you a rare opportunity to influence the performance of hardware and software that are used by millions of people every second. The work is challenging and complex, involves collaboration with many of IBMs top technical experts, and gives you the opportunity to acquire and use advanced technical skills in a highly specialized area of computer engineering.
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Experience in coding on at least one significant software project in C++
- Experience in advanced data structures and algorithms
- Experience in debugging and problem determination
- Experience in Linux/Unix development
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Experience in low-level programming (e.g. assembly language, embedded systems development) and low-level debugging
- Experience in compilers or compiler optimization (LLVM preferred)
- Experience working in open source projects
- Experience in benchmarking or application performance analysis
- Experience in multithreaded programming issues, parallelism, numerical computation, etc.
- Basic knowledge in one or more computer architectures, and of hardware/software interactions
About Business Unit
IBM Systems helps IT leaders think differently about their infrastructure. IBM servers and storage are no longer inanimate - they can understand, reason, and learn so our clients can innovate while avoiding IT issues. Our systems power the world’s most important industries and our clients are the architects of the future. Join us to help build our leading-edge technology portfolio is designed for cognitive business and optimized for cloud computing.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education:Pre-University QualificationCommissionable:No