Security Services Intern (16 months)
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16-month work term commencing May 2021. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
Technological advancements have resulted in countless amounts of “information” being stored and transmitted by various entities in the world (including corporations, governments and non-profits). It is the responsibility of everyone to ensure that this “information” is secured from rouge elements (i.e. hackers and thief’s) that could take advantage of it both financially and for other reasons. IBM has been recognized by Gartner as a leader in providing cutting edge solutions and expert consultative advice to Fortune 1000 clients around the Globe in the field of Information Security.
We are seeking aspiring technologists with an inquisitive and “hackers” mind to join the IBM Canada Security Services organization. You will be joining a team of seasoned subject matter experts with several years of industry experience in the field of Information Security. Our ultimate goal is to be a trusted partner for Senior Executive clientele across various industries. Your role will be to assist the Security Services organization in the successful delivery of projects. In the process you will be introduced into the vast and niche world of Information Security Domains including Consulting & Systems Integration, Sales & Solution Design and Portfolio Management.
As part of this program you will receive training working closely with senior consultants and leadership in a variety of roles. Job functions and responsibilities may include shadowing IBM Security professionals and participating in client engagements, assisting with client deliverables, working on RFPs, participating in client meetings, and providing recommendations to improve their security posture. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to learn about and interact with the different practices that make up IBM Security Services to further build your knowledge and skills in security and prepare you for a career in IBM Security. You will contribute to the analysis, design, recommendations and implementation of various Security practices including but not limited to Security, Strategy, Risk and Compliance (SSRC), Identity and Access Management (IAM), Data and Application Security (DAS), Infrastructure and Endpoint Security (IES), Security Intelligence and Operations (SIOC), Managed Security Services (MSS), Portfolio Management, Sales & Solution Design, Cloud Security, XForce Red and IRIS.
Candidates should be highly motivated, enthusiastic, and able to work under minimal guidance with demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills. Your collaboration and communication skills will be fundamental to the overall success of the projects you work on
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- A computer science student / graduate or has relevant IT Security related courses in their curriculum
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Analytical ability and willingness to work under pressure in a highly competitive environment
- Knowledge of basic IT infrastructure, Application Development, Information Systems and processes
- An inquisitive mind, self-starter, a person who keeps up-to-date with latest technological trends that affects the world of Information Security.
- Has a consultative approach to solving problems, uses process / techniques to advantage.
- Knowledge of IT Security concepts and fundamentals
- Ability to work easily with diverse and dynamic teams
- Must be able to draw upon professional concepts to collaborate with others to carry out assigned duties
- Readiness to travel up to 50% based on project requirements
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Knowledge and/or experience with IT system administration or network administration
- Experience with Operating Systems - Linux (preferred) / Unix / Windows
- Knowledge and understanding of TCP/IP Network Fundamentals
- Knowledge and understanding of basic routing protocol fundamentals
- Experience with Basic network troubleshooting
- Knowledge of Cyber Threat Analysis and IDS/IPS/SIEM Fundamentals
- Knowledge of Firewall Fundamentals and/or experience with Firewall administration and management
- Knowledge of Project Management Fundamentals
- Demonstrated skill in coordinating projects, financials, schedules etc. to meet a desired outcome.
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds - public, private, and hybrid - enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client’s data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.