Security Intelligence Software Performance - Coop (Ottawa, ON)
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 4 or 8 (co-op) month work term commencing September 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online atwww.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Security Intelligence Software Developer Coop with Performance Engineering Focus
The global cost of cyber-crime is expected to reach over 2 trillion dollars by 2019. IBM Security Intelligence is the global provider of high-value, cost-effective, security information and event management (SIEM) products. The flagship offering QRadar is currently the industry leader in SIEM. QRadar integrates previously disparate functions including log management, network behavior analytics and security event management into a total security intelligence solution. QRadar provides users with crucial visibility into what is occurring with their networks, data centers, and applications to better protect IT assets and meet regulatory requirements.
At IBM Security, our mission is to protect our clients from various attacks including malware, identity theft, fraud, etc. IBM Security delivers an integrated system of analytics, real-time defenses and proven experts; the successful candidate will be working with QRadar's Release Analytics and Performance Assessment Team (RAPA).
- For continuous system behavior analysis, executing Performance Assessment Framework to assess build/appliance benchmark results and recording them in companywide collaboration tool.
- Extending Performance Assessment Framework with new modules to provide better coverage for an evolving product at a high rate.
- Reporting and verifying issues using the collaboration tool and work with other agile teams to close stories/defects.
- Perform initial investigation of pipeline degradations, perform mini experiments to narrow down the issue to component/feature.
- Read the code, read the docs to understand how the system should behave and assess whether it is the case or not.
- Learning about the product to understand the QRadar data pipeline.
- Reviewing customer documentation.
- Work closely with other members of the Agile team and report status on daily scrums to the team.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by Export Regulations sanctions. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following US sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position. Requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Having an eye for detail and curiosity on how things work and why things do not work.
- Experience with Linux operating systems.
- Experience with two or more of the following: Java, SQL, Bash, Python, Git.
- Professionalism in verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage workload to meet specific deadlines.
- Must work effectively as part of an agile team and be able to exercise independent judgment. within defined guidelines and procedures.
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Experience using Agile methodologies
- Knowledge of the software development process in general.
- Experience in data visualization techniques.
- Experience with developing and maintaining code.
- Performance monitoring related Linux commands (top, iostat, dstat, sar, perf, etc.). Performance monitoring and testing in Java (JMeter, JConsole, etc.)
- Enthusiasm in Security Industry and Ethical Hacking
About Business Unit
IBM is a leading provider of enterprise security solutions. Named by industry analysts as a leader in 12 security market segment categories, IBM Security is a multi-billion dollar business that is rapidly growing. In an industry focused on building walls, IBM Security is focused on creating an open, connected security ecosystem that leverages AI and cloud to help clients improve compliance, stop threats, and grow their business securely.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by Export Regulations sanctions. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following US sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education:Pre-University Qualification