Runtimes Technologies DevOps Engineer - Co-op (Ottawa, ON)
Change the world at IBM.
There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 4-month work term commencing September, 2018. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The IBM Runtime Technologies team builds and enhances language runtimes for use both within and outside of IBM. Development, build, and delivery of our runtimes requires extensive infrastructure and tooling, both inside and outside of IBM.
In this role you will contribute to on-going enhancements to the systems that build our software and get it out the door.
The majority of our Runtimes code is Open Source, and in this role you will have the opportunity to enhance and extend the systems used to develop, build, and test our projects in the open.
Activities in this role include:
- Building and enhancing tools and systems to streamline, simplify, standardize, and further automate our DevOps pipelines, both internal and external
- Integrating IBM's OpenJ9 open source JDK and its ecosystem into the internal build, test, and deployment systems for IBM's Java runtime
- Deploying and enhancing standard tooling to automate the deployment, monitoring, and maintenance of our build and test resources, both physical and cloud-based, both inside IBM and in the open communities to which we contribute
- You will work with a wide variety of technologies and with people at multiple sites, helping us move into a more agile, open, and continuous software development and delivery paradigm.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Basic understanding of DevOps concepts
- Experience with software build systems and technologies
- Experience with software build and test automation
- Working knowledge of the Windows and Linux operating systems
- Working knowledge of source code management systems
- Proven written and verbal communication and collaboration skills
- Working knowledge of basic web development technologies
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Experience with GitHub and Open Source
- Experience with multiple web programming languages and technologies
- Working knowledge of standard software build tools such as Ant, make, Autoconf, and cmake
- Understanding of software engineering principles and concepts
- Experience with Agile software development
- Experience collaborating with colleagues at remote locations
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.