Quality Assurance Automation Developer - Coop (Toronto, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Toronto, Ontario and is a 4 month work term commencing January 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for QA Automation Developer (Co-op) include:
Our product testing involves a mix of manual and automated testing, with a current team focus on expanding the scope of both. A strong business background coupled with technical expertise will enable the successful candidate to assess and manage rapidly evolving functionality and complex business rules to assure the quality and usability of mission critical software.
We are seeking for talented co-op students that are passionate about quality to join the QA Automation team at our Toronto headquarters. You will be part of a creative and agile development team working on challenging problems in a dynamic environment. As a member of the QA Automation team, you will be critical to your team's success in delivering new automation scripts, executing them, and refining our existing scripts. As a growing team with ambitious goals, the challenge and complexity of the work you take on will be limited solely by your ability to deliver.
- Development, execution, maintenance and documentation of automated test for Web applications
- Integrate automated test suites into our continuous integration framework
- Analysis of results, documenting and communicating test results to team lead
- Work closely with developers and QA team members to identify/communicate defects and monitor resolution
- Development of internal tools
- Troubleshoot test automation environment, analyze problems and determine best course of action
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Working toward Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent
- Familiarity with Agile Development
- An understanding of product lifecycle and QA methodology
- Solid understanding of Object Oriented Design
- Confident programming in python, C#, C++ and/or Java and eager to learn new languages as need arises
- Basic fluency using Shell and batch scripting
- Proven knowledge of web service technologies (REST, SOAP)
- Proven understanding of relational databases and able to write simple SQL queries
- Previous experience with automation testing tools and frameworks, such as JUnit, Selenium WebDriver, nosetest, Jenkins
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Solid listener and communicator
- Passionate about testing and automation
- Self-motivated, independent worker and strong team member
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment.
- Have the ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a driven environment
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.