Performance Measurement & Analysis Engineer - Internship (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM.
There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, ON and is a 12 or 16 (internship) month work term commencing January, 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The Toronto-based IBM Runtimes Technologies team at IBM Canada Lab is looking to hire talented and self-motivated DevOps engineers to join our global Runtime Technologies Infrastructure team. The IBM Runtime Technologies team delivers enterprise grade language runtimes that enable IBM Cloud, Analytics, and Mobile software solutions to run more efficiently and allow differentiation on System Z and POWER platforms by actively participating in and leading a number of open-source communities and leveraging open-source developer ecosystems.
As a DevOps Engineer Intern, you will be a part of our Infrastructure team tasked to design, implement, and maintain our next-generation infrastructure platform to deploy our runtime technologies to our consumers. You will have the opportunity to work with open-source programming languages and runtimes development communities, academia, and other IBM development, performance and functional test teams across the globe. Throughout your work term, you will gain valuable experience with a variety of hardware platforms, operating systems, and cloud and virtualization technologies, as well as many industry standard DevOps tools such as git, ZenHub, Jenkins, Slack, Ansible, etc.
The main responsibilities of the team include:
- Maintain the hardware and software resources and ensure development and test environment is available, responsive, and running smoothly
- Automate infrastructure for continuous integration, development, problem determination, benchmarking, and testing of runtime technologies
- Identify and implement enhancements for infrastructure, release engineering as well as problem tracking and resolution
About the IBM Runtime Technologies team:
The IBM Runtimes team is responsible for development of innovative compiler and runtime technology primarily for dynamic languages. IBM recently open-sourced 20+ years of runtime innovations through two projects, the Eclipse OMR (https://github.com/eclipse/omr) project that provides a large toolkit of language-agnostic components for building runtimes (including JIT compiler, garbage collector, diagnostic tooling, and platform abstraction technologies), and the Eclipse OpenJ9 (https://github.com/eclipse/openj9) project which includes IBM's enterprise-class J9 Java Virtual Machine technology. The AdoptOpenJDK project now hosts JCK compliant OpenJDK builds that include OpenJ9 as an alternative high-performance enterprise-grade, made for cloud Java runtime.
The Toronto-based compiler team (50+ developers) develops Just-In-Time (JIT) compilers for various language runtimes. We also contribute to industry-leading performance and capabilities into these runtimes across multiple hardware platforms (e.g. x86, ARM, IBM Z and POWER) and operating systems. We work with open-source programming languages and runtimes development communities, academia, and other IBM development, performance and functional test teams across the globe. While Java has been our focus for many years, we have successfully integrated Eclipse OMR technology into other language runtime environments (e.g. Ruby, Swift, Lua, WebAssembly, etc.) through several active collaborative academic research projects with professors and graduate students from a number of Canadian and foreign universities.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Proven problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Great verbal and written communications skills
- Completed at least 1 course in programming or OS
- Basic knowledge in open-source community development processes and tools
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Experience with computer architecture and operating systems
- Experience with C++/Java
- Experience in software debugging at system level
- Basic knowledge in compiler development
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.