Network Support Specialist - Internship (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 12-month work term commencingSeptember 2018. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Are you looking for an exciting and challenging opportunity where you will apply your skills, learn new skills and grow your career? If so, then read on.
A position is available on the Network Services IT Team based out of the IBM Canada Markham Software Development Lab. We are looking for candidates willing to apply themselves and participate in providing high quality technical support to a wide range of internal IBM software development customers. The successful candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to learn new technologies and think creatively. The candidate would work closely with our network services IT team to provide solutions to various network problems facing our development organizations, and to assist with the maintenance and enhancement of the existing network topology.
In this role, you will assist the network team with:
Full network life cycle management. This includes the following tasks:
- document the business requirements and assist with design/architect network enhancements and topology changes;
- support and trouble shoot the network environment, including use of trace, monitoring, and diagnostic tools;
- maintain documentation such as topology diagrams;
- support security compliance of network devices;
- maintain inventory and decommission obsolete equipment.
- Assist customers by troubleshooting network issues
- Write, maintain, and enhance the network services team's scripts
- Special project assignments
- Occasional travel to other Toronto area sites and after hours and/or weekend support
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Understanding of TCP/IP protocols and routing concepts including dynamic routing protocols
- Understanding of IPv6
- Understanding of layer 2 switching concepts
- Experience with scripting languages such as AIX Shell, Python, and Perl
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English (written and verbal)
- Ability to manage projects through to completion with minimal supervision
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Experience with Cisco IOS, NX-OS, and ASA software and devices
- Familiarity with SAN protocols such as FCoE, FC, and FCIP
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.