IT Technician/Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, ON and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing September 2018. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-timestudies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The following job responsibilities for the Technician/Developer – SW Technology Exploration Centre – Markham include:
The IBM Software Sales Team is responsible for providing software solutions to a wide range of companies across Canada. Solutions are composed of products from the Cloud, Analytics, Mobile, Security and Social Business Units.
At the Technology Exploration Centre (TEC) based out of Markham, Ontario, the TEC team works with our Software Business Unit Sellers to prepare for client events in Markham and across the country. These events include Proof of Technology events, Proof of Concept events, Demonstrations and/or Education events intended to move forward the interest in our clients in buying our solutions.
You will also have an exciting opportunity to gain software development experience for web enabled applications running on Bluemix.
The role of “Technician/Developer – SW Technology Exploration Centre – Markham” is expected to provide:
Organize Events & Manage the logistics for:
- Markham events: provisioning of workstations in the meeting rooms, booking the rooms, ordering catering, organizing printing required, the meeting of clients at the front desk and setting up wi-fi accounts for customers
- Remote events: coordinating the printing required and the provision and shipping of workstations to locations across the country
- Provisioning of workstations includes ensuring that they can access the networking and are set up with the required demonstration or images
- Support of the TEC Infrastructure Environment
- Assist with server and network configurations as well as installing, configuring and managing software products on a variety of network environments, hardware platforms and operating systems located in Markham
IBM Cloud Development Projects:
- Development and support of web applications that run on the IBM Cloud platform
- Weekly reporting requests
- As they come up
There will be opportunities for direct customer interaction and technical training is provided through class room courses and hands-on skills transfer from product specialists.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems
- Experience with virtualization tools such as VMware ESXi & Workstation
- LAN Networking skills
- Knowledge of the software development cycle and software engineering
- Experience with frameworks, preferably Django and Flask or understanding of MV* design patterns
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrates hands-on skills with computer hardware
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Ability to administer IBM xSeries servers
- Industry certifications are an asset in the following areas: VMware, Cisco, Linux
- Proven problem determination / debug skills
- Knowledge of Excel and data manipulation
- Knowledge of Cloud computing
- Knowledge of IBM products, particularly Bluemix platform
- Understanding of RESTful services
- UI/UX Design knowledge
- Experience with Node.js and frameworks like Express
- Experience with multiple front-end tools and libraries, such as gulp, webpack, jQuery or Bootstrap
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.