Human Resources Partner - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham Ontario and is a 12 month work term commencing January 2017
The Human Resources Partner Internship will support those who fill the role of maintaining client focus by working with and supporting business line management to deliver HR solutions in support of their business objectives and HR Canada strategies. Essentially the HR Partner is the one face of HR to their assigned Business Units and engages HR experts and process owners as needed to support their client. You will support and work alongside an HR Partner as a Intern Student.
- Applies conceptual knowledge of basic professional HR processes to execute HR programs.
- Demonstrates appropriate skills and competencies for this position.
- Works with team members or assists others in advising HR professionals and management on underlying principles of HR programs.
- Engages in decisions and problem analysis with other professionals to clarify their HR needs and translates them into alternative courses of action.
- Recognizes problems relative to the execution of HR programs and provides feedback to program owners for resolution.
- May offer alternatives for resolution.
- Performs root cause analysis of recurring problems related to programs administered on day to day basis.
- Recognizes program elements that need improvement
- Works on projects requiring theoretical understanding of HR issues; projects are reviewed by more senior members of team for increased program understanding and ability to articulate programs and rationale to HR management.
- May directly influence people in own team to effect process improvements.
- Accountable for accuracy of information provided to other HR professionals and management on standard HR programs.
- Accountable for accurate and timely execution of HR programs (i.e., salary planning, Performance Management, benefit enrollments, etc.).
- Performs activities such as data gathering and analysis and report preparation that impact business results and satisfy the needs of other HR professionals.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts. www.ibm.com/jobs
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Experience with Windows
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Strong Analytical skills
- Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.