Human Resource Specialist, Employee Relations - Intern (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM.
There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, ON and is a 12 (internship) month work term commencing January 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This role will be part of the Human Resources team supporting the employee appeals channels and employee relations activity. It requires the ability to gather data, multi-task and interface with a variety of functions within IBM to resolve complex employee situations. Examples include the collection and analysis of information to respond to internal and external attorney requests; assisting HR case manager with investigations into complex cases, disciplinary action and other employment concerns. This role will also be responsible for data gathering, trend analysis and assisting with the preparation of presentation materials. Other special projects will be assigned as required.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Pursuing a degree in Human Resources
- Conceptual understanding of employment law and employee relations
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Strong organization skills and ability to work with high volumes
- Quick to learn, self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Analytical skills
- Ability to negotiate and influence others
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and highly sensitive/confidential information
- Strong Microsoft skills and spreadsheet skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Independent thinker and very comfortable with technology
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.