Entry Level Software Developer
Candidates must be willing to work in any of the following locations: Toronto, ON; Markham, ON; Ottawa, ON.
ANTICIPATED START DATES WILL BE IN 2018.
At IBM we have an amazing opportunity to transform the world with cognitive technology. By using the vast amounts of information available today to identify new patterns and make new discoveries, we are helping cities become smarter, hospitals transform patient care, financial institutions minimize risk, and pharmaceuticals find cures for rare diseases. Join the forward-thinking teams at IBM solving some of the world's most complex problems – there is no better place to launch your career!
Software Engineers at IBM can work in a variety of areas. As such, you might be involved in any of these specialties:
- Backend or Server Systems Programming – Design and code servers, applications and databases that are reusable, scalable and meet critical architecture goals. Create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that are clean, well-documented, and easy to use. In some teams, may involve working with the Linux kernel, scheduler, memory management system, device drivers, and hardware architectures.
- Cloud-Based Development – Architect and develop new cognitive services, using a cloud-first methodology. Create and configure Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) applications. Design and implement large scale systems and Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) that enable continuous delivery.
- Automation and Testing – Enable continuous deployment and availability by designing, developing, creating, and executing test cases based on functional and non-functional requirements. Build and manage testing environments, assisting in debugging application issues.
- Client-Facing Solution Development – Solve complex business issues for the world's leading clients. Work directly with the customer to understand detailed requirements, then design and implement innovative solutions across multiple industries and sectors, as well as governments and agencies.
- Client-Facing Technical Support – Help customers one-on-one by assessing complex problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and capturing detailed and accurate information about issues, troubleshooting steps and resolution. Own the customer support experience and resolve customer satisfaction issues by designing and implementing creative solutions to technical problems.
What You'll Do:
- You'll work in an Agile, collaborative environment to understand requirements, design, code and test innovative applications, and support those applications for our highly valued customers.
- You'll employ IBM's Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality, and stability.
- You'll work with a variety of relational databases (SQL, Postgres, DB2, MongoDB) and operating systems (Linux, Windows, iOS, Android).
Who You Are:
- You are highly motivated and have a passion for creating and supporting great products.
- You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You are great at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
- You have a basic understanding of software development and programming in a language such as Java, C, C++, C#, Python, or Scala.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Role ( Job Role ): Software Developer
Position Type: Early Professional
Employment Type: Full-Time
Remote work possible? Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?: No
Travel Required: No Travel
Associate's Degree/College Diploma
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
Must have basic knowledge in one of the following technology areas: Java, C++, C#, Python or Scala
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
Willing to travel up to 10%
Bachelors Degree Preferred
Must be eligible/legally entitled to work in Canada.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.