Entry level Software Developer - Coop (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, ON and is a 4-month work term commencing May 2018. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online atwww.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Front End Developer - As part of a creative design studio, this role will tackle numerous projects working on IBM software products including tasks such as working directly with core development teams transitioning user interface designs and interaction patterns into working front ends, coding of mockups and prototypes, and integrating design themes and widgets. Projects over the term will include working on responsive web design implementations for next generation Watson Customer Engagement products as well as possible shorter term projects (proof of concepts, demos, etc.). The role demands experience with current technologies, but also a requirement to investigate and learn new technologies for quick turnaround. You should be a self-starter, creative in your approach to coding specific designs, have a basic knowledge of design principles in order to work with other designers, strong communication and documentation skills and be able to work with a wide variety of people (designers, information developers, developers, product owners, etc.) - both face-to-face and via conference calls
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience with web and mobile development tools, technologies and methodologies
- Can demonstrate knowledge of HTML and CSS (HTML, XHTML, HTML5, CSS2, CSS3)
- Can demonstrate knowledge of one or more server-side languages (e.g. NodeJS, PHP, Java etc... )
- Knowledge of Object Oriented programming languages
- Knowledge of responsive web design principles (e.g. responsive range break-points, fluid proportion-based grids, content prioritization, designing for touch, media queries, and content modeling)
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, team based environment
- An awesome and positive attitude
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Ability to generate and optimize web graphics (gif / jpg / png / svg) plus CSS graphic sprites
- Knowledge of web browser compatibility issues and testing
- An understanding of guidelines and standards of web design and development
- An understanding of interface & user experience design best practices for web and mobility devices
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.